gl2 mic options?

rayloyd

hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help me out with some inexpensive ways to record sound better for short films recorded with my canon gl2. something in the 150-250 range would be ideal. i dont need it for a particular location so something versatile would be great.

thanks!

A huge problem I see all of the time is people who spend $2,500.00 ($5k, $10k?) on a camera and then want to get away cheap on sound.

Without great sound your visuals are just a bunch of pretty pictures. Poor sound has killed more otherwise decent indie projects than anything else. You spent days (weeks? months? years?) carefully crafting a script. Your talent will spend hours learning the dialog and put every ounce of their energy and talents into delivering those lines. And then you propose capturing all of that hard work, all of that effort, all of that meticulously written dialog, the words that are telling your story, with a junky $200.00 microphone put in the hands of whichever PA has nothing to do when you are ready to roll.

Sound is half of the experience - Steven Spielberg

Okay, you can get a passable microphone for about $250.00. What about the boompole? What about cabling? What about a shock mount? What about a windjammer? Are you planning on acquiring those things as well? You had better double up on your budget.

More importantly, what about the person handling the microphone? A great boom-op is worth his/her weight in gold. Even better is an experienced location sound recordist/boom-op team. Someone whose sole responsibility on the set is production sound is essential.

What about your locations? Have you scouted them for how they sound as well as how they look? Is it directly under an approach to an airport? Find a new location. Are there lots noisy appliances, such as refridgerators, air conditioners and computers? Shut them off. Is there lots of grit on the ground? Sweep the floor. Is the room excessively ambient? Hang up sound blankets and put down carpeting. A microphone is much less selective than your ears. Your brain can edit out extraneous noise, but a microphone doesn't have a brain, it records ALL sounds equally.

Spend the time and effort on the set to capture great location sound. Every hour you spend on the location sound will save you five in audio post. Can your talent handle extensive ADR? Can your budget? Can your budget handle extensive sonic surgery on your location sound?

Did you discuss sound during pre-production? No? Shame on you! What do you want the world your characters inhabit to sound like? Are you going to need specific sound effects? Will you need Foley? How can you use sound to help tell the story? What can you do with sound to enhance a character? Can a carefully crafted sound design redefine or eliminate an awkward scene?

I spend way to much time as a mechanic fixing audio problems that could easily have been avoided with a little pre-planning and a small increase in the budget. I would rather be the artist I consider myself to be and bring a soundtrack to life with a carefully crafted sound design than fixing and hiding the flaws of poorly recorded location sound.

Please, don't just give lip service to sound, do something about it. All too often when I introduce myself as a sound designer people say "Oh, sound is important!" Does anyone tell a DP/Cinematographer that pictures are important? Let's get real here!

Sound is half of the experience - Steven Spielberg

Sorry about the rant.

no, dont be sorry at all, i really appreciate all the advice actually and thats the kind that i need to hear because I KNOW Im very inexperienced and have much to learn, especially when it comes to the balance of maintaining quality and budgetary issues. Any advice would be a huge benefactor for me (no doubt a professional!). The thing is that I am still a freshmen in college and, like most students, have very little money. The camera was half paid by me and a x-mas present. I wanted to get something that could last me for the future. I can save money and work on getting better equipment since it'll most likely be wiser to wait and buy something worthwhile. Thanks for the advice

Ray

mic

mic

I suggest that you take a look at the MKE-300. I have used Sennheiser microphones for years and have always been happy with the results. I have not used this particular mic but it seems to fit you needs. The description below is taken from B and H Photo in NY. I can't give the link because they are not sponsers of this site. The price is $159.95. Best of luck. JimT

Ideally suited for mounting on camcorders due to its integrated shoe assembly, the MKE-300 is compact and extremely lightweight (2.1 oz.). Given its super-cardioid polar pattern, the MKE-300 has the ability to pick up only those sounds that correspond to the scene being filmed and rejects any disturbing ambient noise. This high directivity also attenuates the sounds made by a camcorder's autofocus and zoom motors.

Key Features

The microphone's suspension mount assembly and integrated windscreen virtually eliminates handling and wind noise. Achieving operating times of over 200 hours using its own built in battery

High directivity - Supercardioid/Unidirectional
Electret condenser element
Suspension-mounted for rejection of structure borne noises
Flashmount adapter - Mountable on a wide variety of cameras
Coiled output cable with 1/8" (3.5mm) mono mini plug for direct and easy connection to camcorders
Integral power supply using an LR 44 battery
On/off switch with battery status indication
Quality sound with picture

Network Sponsors

Back