Funding

Yes. Dentists and bankers.

And, actually, I'm not kidding: if you look at who's funded independent movies in the past, an awful lof of the money seems to have come from those two groups. I can only assume that a lot of dentists are actually frustrated movie directors :).

The following is a link to the topic where this was already discussed...

there is no "easy" way to get money for a film... except to get yourself a job and save up... though, I would argue, the following way is going to likely be a lot easier.

http://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=310

In the future... please read around the forum for a post that may already answer your question...
Thanks

There's always the white trash method...

There's always the white trash method...

Sell your body parts for money! ~no joke~

Robert Rodriguez supposedly subjected his body to numerous drug trials in order to fund his first movie (El Mariachi), but this isn't recommended.

Donating blood? or even better... ;)

I've actually funded every short film I've done thus far using money that I've earned from a previous project (festival prize $$$/people paying me so that I will stop talking to them about my movie :D)

Open a lemonade stand and force your younger sibling to raise funds - and if you don't have a younger sibling, thank your lucky stars!

But seriously, be creative! :) You can do QUITE A BIT without funding. If you go to your local community college that has a film department and you talk to the right people, you'll find that there are unlimited resources out there for you that will cost you NOTHING.
________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
Ay, that's the rub.

The best way to finance a film, that I've figured out, is to find somebody that may have an interest in your film, more than just liking going to the movies. For example, one of my films I did at the beginning of the summer was about how a man deals with his own mortality. I remembered that one of my friends' fathers owns and runs his own mortuary, so I went and spoke with him. Not only did it share his interests, but he liked that thought of making a movie (I guess it's just one of those things that's so dang sexy!).

Other ways, and I'm doing this right now, are find out who owe favors to your best friends. I have a friend who has very rich friends that owe him some big favors. So, not only is he producing the film with me, he's also getting the money to do it for us by calling in his chips.

Lastly, of course, is the plastic option. More than one successful film has been made on credit cards. The only caveat, however, is that you better be sure you can do something with it afterwards, because you don't want to be stuck with thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

Of course, you could also rob a bank. Be creative!

-T

Credit Card = Doomsday Machine

Credit Card = Doomsday Machine

As appealing as it is to open a credit line for a movie, I will strongly suggest avoiding it at ALL costs. Credit cards are what you use to compliment your ACTUAL spending budget. The Land of Debt is not a fun place to be. I think I would recommend holding up a donut store for movie funding before I would recommend getting one of those delectable low-or-no interest credit cards (some of them go for like a year and a half or more) and then find out your movie won't be reeling in the dollars. Let's learn from Coppolla's mistake during Apocolypse Now!...I believe he put some bank in SF into bankruptcy because his movie wasn't a "sure thing". As the ole' saying goes..."the only things you can be sure about in life are death and taxes..." Don't use a credit card unless you've got the green stuff to pay it off (IN HAND - you never know when someone will renege on you!) or you've exhausted every other option.
________
M16 A4 Airsoft Rifle Illuminator Adjustable

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back