flickering problems with fluorescent practical fixtures

Olliwood

On an upcoming shoot I'm planning to use a lot of practicals, mainly fluorescent fixtures. The short's going to be shot on 35mm, 25fps, 172,8 degree shutter (since I'm from Europe - I guess it's different in the US).
Can you give me any advice on how to keep the fluorescents from flickering (since they're not going to be KinoFlos or anything alike - they're often going to be IN the frame, so they should at least look like regular household ones) Is there anything I have to consider shooting slow-mo at 50fps?
Thank you very much in advance!

Your shutter speed has to end up at 1/60th for 60 Hz lights, so you'd need a 150 degree shutter at 25 fps (crystal sync).

A 172.8 degree shutter is for shooting at 24 fps in a 50 Hz country (since that creates a shutter speed of 1/50th.)

Thanks already- but since Germany (where I'm located) is a 50Hz country would 172,8 degree be safe for 25fps at all camera speeds, too?

and can I take just any regular household fluorescents or some kind of special ones? Are there any ones which are known to cause problems or any other traps, regarding the flickering issue, I could walk into?
Thanks

Network Sponsors

Back