film school vs. self-taught

Lazlo

I was curious since you didn't go to film school how got a break in the business? There are an awful lot of people that probobly go to film school with an emphasis in cinematography, and get a credential. FIlm school is known for creating contacts for future projects... How did you compete with those people with credentials and contacts? Thanks.

I went to graduate film school at CalArts when I was 27, but I had been already shooting since I was in high school, and doing some small professional jobs by the year before I went to school, so I was already more or less self-taught by the time I arrived, which is one reason I got asked to shoot for everyone else when I was there.

Film school gave me some contacts that got me my first few feature jobs, which then led to more jobs, etc. The contacts and the experience, as displayed on my reel, got me work -- the degree itself means nothing in the film industry. Your reel, resume, and contacts mean more.

I wasn't aware that it was possible to recieve a masters in film without having recieved a bachlors first.. I thought that in graduate school your topic of study had to relate to your major in undergrad... So you did go to film school...

My BA was in English Lit. No, most film schools in the U.S. do not require a BFA in Film in order to get a Masters in Film.

Truth is, most film schools have nearly identical film classes for their bachelor and masters students; the main difference is that bachelor degree students have to take other core courses, and masters students have to complete a thesis project.

I am learning on my own. I took one semester of a video pre-production class and then decided that I can do more on my own. The way I look at it is this. Sure other filmmakers have contacts, etc but how did they come to that point? Most of them worked hard and showed others what they could do then someone told someone else, etc.

I do agree that film schools may give you an advantage. However, just like in anything what you can do and show weighs a whole lot more. Put the time in, work hard and see where it goes from there. That is the approach that I am doing. I am pursuing a passion and if it goes no where hey I still like what I do.

Truly, the most important thing film schools give you is connections, which are critical to success in the business. That said, it also really depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna be a cinematographer, some formal education will really help you a lot (as well as having access to the equipment the that schools will have.) If you wanna be a director, I'd say that's less a learned a skill, and more something you should really just get out and there and do. Make some films, try to get them out there, and team up with friends who are similarly interested.

Network Sponsors

Back