fika: to have coffee – a Web Documentary Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabians.ch

Dear filmmaker community,

I would like to inform you about the upcoming release of the web documentary series fika: to have coffee, which might be of interest to you.

In six episodes, the series will make an attempt at portraying the popular Swedish ritual of fika, a small but essential part of the country's coffee culture and day-to-day life.
Instead of following a classic documentary approach, the series intends to be a more about the people and give an insight into Swedish society, it wants to tell the average person's little stories.​

The first episode of the six-part series premieres on May 23 on www.tohave.coffee and on Vimeo for free. A trailer has been released, available for download and website embedding on www.vimeo.com/165865791.

This project is fully non-commercial, it's the final project of my studies in «Cast / Audiovisual Media» at Zurich University of the Arts.

Links:

- Release 1st Episode: May 23 2016
- Trailer: www.vimeo.com/165865791
​- Facebook: www.facebook.com/tohavecoffee
- Press Kit: www.tohave.coffee/downloads/press-kit.zip

PS: Any sharing and promoting is of course appreciated.

So long,
Fabian

Very well done clip and I like the idea and I love coffee. In fact I am making a pot now. It's about 9am on Saturday. Can you tell me how you raised:) the money for this project and what the total cost? Also, cameras and editing software?

Hey Kim,

Thanks for your answer and interest in the project – this is much appreciated.

Actually, I just pulled an espresso shot and I'm drinking a cappuccino while writing this :) It's already 4 pm here, though, and I'm feeling bad because I've missed the sun all day due to last minute editing and sound work for the upcoming release of the first episode.

I didn't have to raise any money for this at all. The series is the final project of my studies, so I got some support from university. The time I have invested is unpaid though. The project started at the beginning of the year and as of March it has been pretty much a full-time job (or more). Expenses, equipment and travel costs etc. (around 1500$ in total) were paid partly by university, partly by myself. I was on a three-week production trip in Sweden by myself, it was a super minimalistic setup – that helped to keep the costs low.

Cameras used were a Canon 5D MK3 and a Canon 6D. All editing was done in Adobe Premiere with Audition for sound and After Effects for animation/type.

Enjoy you cuppa Joe!

Sounds great!

Here are some production photos, unfortunately I don't have a ton since I was producing by myself.

makingof.jpg

12809506_789292934536353_87726.jpg

A student in a BA programme called "Cast/Audiovisual Media" at Zurich University of the Arts, I've been involved in many very different projects connected to non-fictional film. However, this project was sort of a one-man show and hence very different. I had to do it all by myself. I went to Sweden and visited all these places, carried all the equipment, handled two cameras, sound, light and also had to conduct interviews etc. It was a lot, and there are some things I would do easier if I'd start all over again, but looking back, it's worked out pretty well. Before the production trip to Sweden, I had to do a lot of planning and organizing. After I got back, I had to edit the whole series, a trailer and some extra content. Colorgrading, soundmixing... The programme I study in is very diverse, it aims to educated people in many areas to be able to do exactly what I had to do. I sure got a lot of help from many people and couldn't have done this without their help.

Of course, I would be very humbled to be featured in your magazine.

All the best,
Fabian

Episode 4 – The Coffee Episode

Episode 4 – The Coffee Episode

Coffee, Sweden, cinnamon buns. That (and much more) is fika.

The 4th episode of fika: to have coffee has been released.

Last edited:
Yes! I was in Sweden shooting for three weeks only. After that, I've been editing and mixing and mastering and making graphics and social media and promoting and stuff..

EDIT: Gonna be shooting this week, though, for a different, yet related project. Filming at the World Barista Championships in Dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Sponsors

Back