feedback and help please!

lotrfan

Hi everyone I'm new here so this is my first post.

I'm trying to come up with a movie idea to develop into a script, and I have a few, but I think they're really dumb or it's too complicated. It seems everything I come up with falls into one of those two categories. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to develop story ideas? If you'd be interested in reading some of my ideas I have so far (I have a list), email me at thelordtheringsfan@gmail.com and give me some feedback on what I have so far. None of them are scripts right now, just descriptions of the stories, but like I said, to me they either fall under too dumb or complicated. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hey man I tried to email you but you must have typed you email address wrong it didn't go through..so ill just post the email here.

Hey man, I saw your post on the student film makers forums, and would like to help ya out. I'm new to screen play writing as well, but my uncle is one, he has had several movies made by Warner Brothers so he has kinda taken me under his wing. As far as coming up with a story line, I have that problem too. It is either dumb or very complicated, or already done etc etc. I'll let you in on my secret of how I write movies. I create the characters first. Ill create 3 or 4 characters. I mean I will REALLY create them, back stories, how they think, everything. Then I will build the story around the characters. This is what separates bad movies from good ones and especially good movies from great ones.

Most people create a story then create characters to fit their needs, and they just string them along in order to reach the end. Instead, I create the story line to fit the characters. I find that people become very emotionally attached to the characters instead of the story, and it turns into a fabulous movie.

-Steve

PS: If you have AIM or Yahoo my screen name is: dragon28731

Criniit said:
I create the characters first. Ill create 3 or 4 characters. I mean I will REALLY create them, back stories, how they think, everything. Then I will build the story around the characters. This is what separates bad movies from good ones and especially good movies from great ones.

That's great advice, it's exactly what I do. It also makes it more fun to write the stories, and easier to write dialogue because you feel as if you know the people your writing about!

That is excellent advice. I've been doing the same thing for years, and have written a few screenplays that I'm still working on. Unfortunately I have the same issue with gathering my thoughts together :oops: Maybe that's just my ADD though. Best of luck!

Thats some good advice given, it is also important to decide what type of screenplay you will write soo you can make the characters background to fit nicley into the storyline... if anyone would like to do a script with a partner then just e-mail me, @ for_writing@hotmail.com

posting your e-mail

posting your e-mail

i would not post your e-mail in the forums unless you want spam. people can private message you using the message feature in these forums.

Network Sponsors

Back