do i even need a light meter?

M

maestro

hey,
i'm preparing to make a short film (about 15-17 minutes in length) and i am wondering if i even need a light meter. any help is greatly appreciated.
thx!

hey director15,
well, this is the same film that i told you about in the Newbies forum and like i said, i want it to look very noir-ish. there are quite a few outdoor day shots and some indoor day and night shots.

First off: What kind of film are you shooting? 16mm? 35mm?

Second: Whenever you're shooting on film -NOT video- you ALWAYS need a light meter, and you must know how to properly get readings.

If you're shooting on video, it's still a good idea to have a light meter so that you can attain consistency in your images.

Your question of whether or not you need a light meter whilst shooting film- I can guarantee you that you will end up nowhere near your intended look and feel of your scenes. Shooting noir-style entails many different variables; not just cinematography alone, but production design, wardrobe (for specific color densities), processing, color timing techniques, and many others.

If this is an exercise and not for a client, you don't have a lot to worry about as no one except yourself will care about the finished product and it will be a good learning experience for you; still- GET A LIGHT METER. Rent one if you have to.

Once you get the meter, set it to the ASA or ISO of your film (video is widely accepted as 400 ASA). Then, set your aperture to 2.8 and try to get the key side of your actor's faces to come in at 80 foot candles. Everything else in the frame that is not directly related to the story (meaning it should be secondary in terms of importance to the audience) should come in at a minimum 1/2 stop under your fill light. Find out what the latitude of your film is so you can control your contrast.

If you can't get your light sources bright (inside) or dark (outside) enough, change your master scene aperture setting to a point where you have one or two stops light in either direction.

Good luck.

wow, thank you! how much would a light meter set me back? (i don't have much money to spend)

awesome, thx. but do you know of any that don't cost $150? something under $100 or even under $80 would be great.

That is the most inexpensive light meter on the market that is reliable and accurate. The majority of newer light meters cost between $500 and $2000. Besides, you're talking about a difference of $70. These are the tools of the trade and if you buy cheap tools, you'll end up with a cheap product.

Light Meter?

Light Meter?

Light meter is a must. I've been shooting HDV and it even is handy for that. It doesn't have to be a crazy tricked out meter. A simple couple hundred dollar one is fine.

Light meter

Light meter

Sorry about the late reply, I've only just joined this forum. I agree with the previous replies - definitely get a light meter and learn how to use it. Personally I'd recommend a spot meter especially for the high contrast "film noir" style you are aiming for. This will let you read the reflected light values of the scene and set your exposure so that you keep the dark areas dark whilst exposing the lit areas correctly. Learning to use a spot meter will help you to understand how the film sees and records the image. Once you understand this, you'll get very accurate and predictable results.

Network Sponsors

Back