Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

• Charles Chaplin

• Total voters
F

FlexTerra

Hello to everyone. Im a Puertorrican film student in Barcelona, Spain. I would like to know aspiring directors from around the world to share commensts on films from every time period of cinema history. I also did a short film back home and would like other fellow directors see it and share their comments.

Im also posting a poll to see what the people from these site think is the best director of all time...

Do you have to be dead to be appreciated?

Surely, we could have dug up a few more corpses to nominate?
What happened to Fritz Lang, Orson Welles...?

Oh wait, I think Bergman is still alive...are you sure he should still be on this list?

You can have your favorite

Hi Digigenic,

The Point of the poll is to see what other fellow memebers of this forum think is the director that has made the most important contribution to cinema. In other words the best director of all time. Do you really think that there are directors living that have made a bigger impact than those? If you do please share it with us. Maybe you know directors I have not the oportunity to hear from. Anyway you can post whoever you think is the best of all time.

Hope to read a raply soon.

Hi Digigenic,

The Point of the poll is to see what other fellow memebers of this forum think is the director that has made the most important contribution to cinema. In other words the best director of all time. Do you really think that there are directors living that have made a bigger impact than those? If you do please share it with us. Maybe you know directors I have not the oportunity to hear from. Anyway you can post whoever you think is the best of all time.

Hope to read a raply soon.

Hey Flex,

Sorry if my last post appeared to have a condescending tone; I don't think your list is a "bad" list, I actually think it’s pretty unique. What I was trying to say is that on a list of timeless directors, most of which have departed, Orson Welles, Fritz Lang, and Stanley Kubrick should most notably be included. That’s just my opinion though.

I'm aware of most of the directors you've listed, though I never fully submerged myself into their work to see what they're really all about, I know they're all very good. Welles and Lang are directors who may not have had the most consistent of careers, but they both have made movies that are considered timeless with earth shattering innovations. And as for Kubrick, well, he’s simply phenomenal; I shouldn’t have to go into the details on the consistency of his career.

Their movies not only had an impact within the motion picture community, but also had great social impact. As you may know, Welles' Citizen Kane was quite controversial, so much so that Hollywood “Blacklisted” him. Lang's Metropolis had to be made and distributed in secrecy because it was made in Germany at the time of Hitler's reign. If you were to show Metropolis along with any other movie that was being made in the U.S. at the same time, you’d see how unbelievably advanced Lang’s filmmaking really was. Kubrick’s Clockwork Orange was also quite controversial, forcing him to remove it from theaters and remained banned in the UK for 27 years. Aside from his most controversial work, Kubrick's most innovative work of art is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

These directors are timeless not just because of their groundbreaking advancements in cinema, but they're also just as timeless when considering the social impact they’ve had. As for more recent directors who I may think would deserve recognition for their contributions to cinema...I'd have to give it some serious thought, but right now I'd probably say:

Francis Ford Coppola
Martin Scorsese
Oliver Stone
Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Ridley Scott
Terry Gilliam
David Lynch

Other recent filmmakers who I believe are worth recognizing:

Chris Cunningham
Paul Thomas Anderson
Wes Anderson
Sophia Coppola
Spike Jonze
Darren Aranovski
Guillermo Del Torro
M. Night Shyamalan
Tim Burton
Peter Jackson
Baz Luhrmann
Quentin Tarantino
Tarsem Singh
Chris Nolan

Yeh, and what about Shymalan? He may be newer to filmmaking than some but I think he is very good.
And Spieldberg is a little overrated.

Well, apparently nobody's heard of a guy named Tim Burton before either.

I can't take the poll seriously if Kurosawa is missing, not to mention Lean, Kubrick, Truffaut -- and Buster Keaton was a better filmmaker than Charlie Chaplin, but that's not as universally accepted, I admit.

I certainly can understand leaving off some modern directors whose impact on the history of cinema is still unclear but you could draw the line in the 1970's and list Coppola, Speilberg, and Scorsese.

Besides the big three of foreign cinema: Bergman, Kurosawa, Fellini, there are other foreign directors worth considering (besides Ozu) like Satyajit Ray, Luis Bunuel, Godard, Eisenstein, etc.

I haven't seen enough films to decide who would be the "greatest director"..but here are some of the past directors that sort of influenced me.

1. Akira Kurosawa
2. Howard Hawks
3. Orsen Wells
4. Billy Wilder

I increased the poll to 20

I increased the poll to 20

I increased the poll to 20 so you can include the important names you listed here if you like. If you do want to start a new poll please do it in a new TOPIC so it will be easy for everyone to find.

Kim

Network Sponsors

Back