Did You Have Fun Today?

Bob Kessler

Did You Have Fun Today?

I hope that you did!

We get so wrapped up in the technical aspects and the business, financial and other problems of indie filmmaking that we often forget why we do it. We do it because we love it. We do it because it fulfills us. We do it because it's fun. How many people really get to have fun at their job?

We too often forget how much fun it can be. I had a reminder of that yesterday. I have just started the sound design work on a project featuring an unseen monster. A description of this unseen monster is never given during the dialog, and nor has the writer, director or the producer given a description to me. This gives me a lot of leeway, but now I have to make my sounds more descriptive so you can tell just by sound what it is doing.

This requires a very large sound library and I got started on it yesterday. Now all of those boring hours doing technical stuff pay off. The habits are now ingrained, I’m still organized and efficient - the mics are set up, levels checked, tracks assigned & labeled and the logbook out. I select my “toys” and I’m ready to go. I hit record and then I…

Spent two hours making piles of miscellaneous pieces of junk and then knocking them over.

Spent three hours growling and breathing.

Spent 45 minutes pulling, knotting, twisting and otherwise mangling an old leather jacket.

Was a five-year-old for two hours and played with mud pies. Well, actually, flour, vegetable oil and the like. I need lots of gloppy, squishy and similar noises for when the monster feeds.

I had FUN! And there will be more of the same for a week or so.

I know that it’s hard not to get caught up in all of the crap, but when you get the opportunity to have some fun be sure and take advantage of it. Hey, if it can make an old cynic like me feel good imagine what it could do for you!

Is anybody else having any fun? Let’s hear about it!

I got to chase an actor down an alley with a camera on a dolly, I shot the same actor walking down the alley with the dolly, and then I played with the dolly while my actors ate lunch and produced about thirty Dolly Zooms of that alleyway. Dolly zooms are fun to make. Then I made more dolly zooms in which I chased my friend down the alley with a camera on a dolly. Really effective. So, now I've got about fifty dolly zooms on my camera, with and without people, and in/out and out/in.

Then my actors came back and we shot a scene in which the character is chased along the edge of a pool, and then thrown into the pool itself, and we shot him swimming, and then him running around some more, and then I edited the crap out of what we had.

So, yes, I had fun.

"Hello, Dolly..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

I spent a good part of yesterday barking, growling and howling, more fodder fo my unseen monster's voice, and ripping various types of cloth.

Today I have to figure out what it's footsteps sound like.

Network Sponsors

Back