developing a director's reel outside film school

E

eroberto

Hi All,

I recently graduated from film school and recently decided I want to become a music video/commercial director. Unfortunately, I don't have a music video or a commercial in my reel. My reel consists only of dramatic shorts.

Is it possible to sell myself with dramatic shorts for commercials/mvs? Will I need to finance my own commercial/mv reel out of my own pocket? What is the best way to get into commercials?

Thanks for all of your help!

eroberto

Something you might htink about doing is HOW you edit together your reel. Even if you have a lot of dramatic short subjects, by editing it together with the quick pace of a commercial or music video, that could help a lot.

You could easily edit together a ad for music videos with drama shorts, Have a look at some of these show reels, they will give you an idea about how to edit it together

www.demoreelnetwork.com

Music videos are very stylistic and imaginative and if you can show that sort of style with your shorts your in luck. Think about your composition, your colours, do you push the limits or just cover the scene. Just have a look at other peoples work i think and you will soon know what works and what doesn't.

James

thanks!

thanks!

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated and I now have a clearer understanding on how to approach my reel.

cheers

Network Sponsors

Back