College/Film School advice

S

sebs2112

Hi, i am a junior in high school and am just starting to look at colleges with good film schools. I just recently finished an hour long movie, so i already have some experience in film. I want to know what schools are the best for general film production, and are not too focused on experimental films. I've heard that the most important part of film school is networking, so im lookning for a place that i will get to know lots of people and possibly work in major productions(intern, PA, etc.)
My grades are not that great(aroung a 3.00) and i dont have a lot of money. Would that fact that i've made this feature film help a lot? Another thing is that i am 50 percent hispanic, do film schools worry as much as other schools about have a high minority population? I've been looking at places like Columbia-Chicago and LMU, but other than that i dont know many other schools.
Please help me out. Thank You.

Well...

Well...

Where you are located could possibly be a bit important too. What major cities do you live near?

Temple University in Philadelphia, for example, isn't too costly, and the film program is reportedly solid, but if you're thousands of miles away, then it might not be worth it.

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I know UW-Milwaukee has a decent film school, but from what I've seen out of there its mostly experimental and short documentary films.

Cal State Northridge is probably perfect for you. Its right outside of Los Angeles so you don't have to deal with the traffic but are in the heart of hollywood. Its only 3000 a year. No typo there its dirt cheap and you can get your BA in film production so your parents are happy. The whole school is really diverse, but the film option doesn't care what you are and it putting people in the industry immediately working. Previous experience is a plus but it doesn't matter for admission into the film school. Good luck with you decision.

The University of Texas at Austin and University of Southern california have the top 2 film schools in the nation, if I'm not mistaken.

Network Sponsors

Back