College call for entries: National College Funny Film Competition

RooftopMedia

Invitation to Submit Content for Rooftop Comedy funny short film competition

What the hell is this thing?
A nationwide talent search to find the funniest short filmmakers around the country. Through a series of judging rounds, the Funniest Film will win the national title and receive coveted placement in prominent film festivals. The Funny Film competition is open to all college students in the U.S. All the details can be found online at www.RooftopComedy.com/college/funnyfilm.
Any college student in the United States is welcome to enter a film.

Are there prizes?
There sure are. In addition to valuable exposure, the winner’s work will gain the national title of “Funniest Film”. His/her film will receive placement in prestigious film festivals around the country.

PRIZES:
One grand prize for the Rooftop Comedy National College Funny Film Competition winner will be awarded the National Title of "Funniest Film".

The Funniest Film will have his/her comedic short film screened at several prestigious comedy/film festivals including:

• Laugh Track Comedy Festival; July 23-24, 2011; Denver, CO (and consideration from Festivus Film Festival)
• Miami Shorts Film Festival; Nov 14-20, 2011; Miami, FL
• Chicago Comedy Film Festival; , 2011; Chicago, IL
• Hollyshorts (Aug 11-18, 2011 in Hollywood, CA)
• DC Shorts (Sept 8-15, 2011 in Washington, DC)
The Funniest Film will also receive feature placement on the RooftopComedy.com homepage and blog.

How does the judging work?
Rooftop Comedy will review all eligible films and conduct an internal review to select the top 20 films for the Fine Cut Showcase. These selected films will be featured on RooftopComedy.com/college/funnyfilm. We will engage a panel of qualified judges to name a winner along with a Runner Up and Second Runner Up from the Fine Cut Showcase of top 20 films. Judges will be evaluating films based on originality, creative wit and quality of production.

How do I enter the Funny Film Competition?
Go to www.RooftopComedy.com/college/funnyfilm. Make sure that your film complies with all entry guidelines. Complete the Funny Film entry form and submit. All Funny Film submissions must be completely uploaded at RooftopComedy.com by April, 1, 2011 at 11:59pm PST.

What are the entry guidelines for the Funny Film submissions?
Entry is free and limitless – submit as many films as you’d like. All Funny Film submissions must be received by April 1, 2011 at 11:59pm PST. Films cannot be longer than 5 minutes. Films must be in English or subtitled in English. Films must be funny. Do not include any copyrighted music (unless you own the rights to it). Let’s also keep it clean folks - no nudity, no slander and no hate speech. All submissions are viewed by the esteemed production team at Rooftop Comedy. Qualified films will advance into the judged elimination rounds.

Can you tell me more about the elimination rounds?

Fine Cut Selection Round:
Rooftop Comedy selects 20 films from all submissions based on the following criteria:
•Quality of Production
•Originality of Content
•Comedic Wit

Fine Cut Showcase: The top 20 films will be featured online at RooftopComedy.com/college/funnyfilm in the Fine Cut Showcase.

Director’s Cut Elimination Round:
The top 20 Funny Films selected in the Fine Cut Selection Round advance to the Director’s Cut. Special film and industry experts review each of the films and select the Grand Winner, Runner Up and Second Runner Up
Our judges include:
• Sue Constantine, Executive Director of FrISC and Communications Director for the Friars Club Comedy Film Festival
• Andrea Allen, Community Manager at Vimeo
• Tim DeMasters, Director of LaughTrack Comedy Film Festival and Festivus Film Festival

Funniest Film Announcement:
The winning Funny Film along with the Runner Up and Second Runner Up will be announced online at RooftopComedy.com/college/funnyfilm and on Facebook at “CollegeComedy” on Friday, May 6th.

I like making funny films, what do I have to know about video requirements and stuff?
All content must be solely original material created by the contestant. No logos, trademarks (including sports team shirts), tradedress, images, photographs or music may be used in submission. Entries may not infringe upon the intellectual property including, without limitation, copyright or trademark, privacy or publicity rights of any third party. RooftopComedy.com reserves the right to disqualify any Funny Film submission that does not meet acceptable language and subject matter programming as set forth in the Official Rules.

Do you require a specific format for my film?
We accept a wide variety of video formats including Windows Media, Apple QuickTime, Flash Video, and raw MPEG files. If your file is of type ASF, AVI, DV, FLV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, QT, WMV, send it in.

Remember that people don't want to watch crappy video, so make sure you send the best quality file you can make. If you've taped or transferred your performance on a standard DV camera, and transferred it to your computer and it looks and sounds good at full size you're probably okay. A good rule of thumb is that the video file size should be at least 2MB for every minute of video (a five minute performance should be at least 10MB).

Here are some details for the video geeks:
• Video should be encoded at a minimum of 300Kbps (512K preferred)
• Video frames size should be a minimum of 320x240 pixels (4:3), 360x240 (16:9), 352x288 (CIF), or 448x252 (16:9). Larger frame sizes are preferable, but will be scaled to fit in a 448x252 pixel viewer.
• Videos should be de-interlaced and encoded at 30fps.
• The lighting and sound should be very clear.

When can I sign up?
Funny Film submission begin at 9:00am PST on March 15, 2011 and close at 11:59pm PST on April 1, 2011.

How do I bring Funny Films to my film festival?
Yep, we’d love to partner with film festivals too. If you’re looking to attract the college crowd and highlight student-made films, we’ve got the best content out there. Contact us to find out more about partnership opportunities at NCCC@rooftopcomedy.com.

Thanks for the help, what if I think of a different question?
No problem. Feel free to email any additional questions to Galen@RooftopComedy.com along with your name, school name, email address and daytime phone number where we can reach you.

Network Sponsors

Back