Chase and Driving sequences

DannyG

I'm thinking about a chase sequence in which i want to cut from outside shots to inside shots of the driver and whatnot. First, who do I call to inform that I wish to perform some brief reckless driving on public streets, especially since what I am doing is a private film and obviously not by a big studio? And secondly, for the interior shots...how do I get a camera anywhere near the windshield while the car is moving?

Reckless driving and other fun things

Reckless driving and other fun things

In your shoes, the first place I would look is to see if Chicago has a film commission. If not, check with the city about the possibilities. I dont imagine it would matter who you are but more how deep your wallet is and what kind of insurance you can get a hold of...

As for getting interior shots...you could shoot your interior shots Blue/green screen and composite in moving exterior footage. Add a fan if you have open windows..or a leaf blower :D

Well I could easily do it out in the suburbs. We're only talking about a few real short shots strung together. A peel out of a parking lot here, a zing down a straight away there. But as for the interior shots, I don't have access to any blue/green screens. It's all gotta be done on the fly.

Well, Depending on the program (After effects for example doesnt care what color you want to Key out) you're using to edit it all together all you need is some solid color fabric that you can put over the windows..preferably nothing close to any color in the car interior. it would make lighting a bit tricky...

It would help to know what kind of shot you're going for but let me toss out some practical suggestions...

If you have a fullly empty street, you could use 2 cars, shoot it at a safe speed and try speeding it up in post..find a pickup and put the cameraman in the back paying utmost attention to safety ..so you can shoot in the 3 front windows...depending on where the camera car is driving...

Can your interior shot be shot from the passenger seat at all?

Personally I would try the color key method unless you have access to professional drivers and big time safety equipment...my assumption going into this was that you don't...much like myself :)

if you can let me know what kind of shot you're trying to get, I might have other sugestions....

Good Luck

I'm sorry I'm late on this topic, and I don't see Danny back on this one, but I'll give my advice anyhow 'cause I've been shooting these kind of things quite often. I think you should forget about the blue screen anyway, it's overdated and doesn't look real. This is what I know :

For shooting thru the windshiels, you can use a limped that you fix on a manfrotto suction cup. You stick it on the car cap. It's very cheap.

For shooting profile you have offsets that you put on the car door. On the right one to shoot the left seat and the opposite.

Some grips have their own.

You can make good back shots from rear putting your camera on a sand bag.

I think you need a grip anyhow.

For the lighting, you can rent some HMI small sources (18 W or so) that you can plug in the cigar-lighter or use on a battery.

Please let me know if it helped

I can tell that this scene will have to be on a very low budget. So I would ask if you were only going to get it all in one shot. If not, you can shoot each angle at different times.
For ex. Take 1 you can have someone filming from the passenger seat.
Take 2 you can have someone in the bed of a truck in the opposite lane filming the car from the outside.
Take 3 you can have someone in the back seat either filming rearview or head view.
And there are many other different shots you can have.
Even though this method takes longer than using a green screen, it's a real money saver.
I hope this uncomplicates things

"you can use a manfrotto suction cup. You stick it on the car cap"

Basically a suction cup camera rig that goes on what I'm going to assume is the hood here in the States. Thats a cool idea. Will they hold conventional sized cameras? I'm figuring the door offsets are basically the same thing right?

O k for hood = cap

I've done it with a "big" dvcpro 50 philips, aatons and arri sr s16 and 35 arri BL.

I think a professional grip is necessary because they are used to the accessories, dos and don'ts... You also ask your rental and make tests before shooting. It all depends on the camera you're using.

The door offsets don't use suction cups.

for both systems, it's important to check that you can set your camera in different positions as to have the shots you want and different possibilities

Thats ok. Actually when you used the word Stunt, I was thinking Stunt drivers..which still made sense to me. All this talk has gotten me thinking about actually trying something like this just for the sake of doing it...not to mention the learning possibilities involved...
here's what I've got:
VERY little money to put to this project...(In fact I'm hoping that actually getting permission from the city wont be so costly as to kill this before it starts..but I digress) a full size pick-up truck (which I would use as the camera car) another vehicle to be shot. A nice straight stretch of road that I could shoot on...sidestreet not a main road and a camera that I can "Check out" for a weekend from school.

The initial plan would be to secure myself and the camera in the flatbed of the truck and start off the the vehicles moving parallel to each other with the camera car slightly ahead so I could get a nice drivers interior shot...as we move down the road, the camera car would pull ahead and in front of the other vehicle and then allow the other vehicle to pull up along the other side so I could move the shot in the passenger window. The idea would be to seamlessly combine that move with footage shot with me in the passenger seat.

Since I dont have access to (nor could I afford at the moment) Professional drivers, this'll be done at a slow speed..say 10-15 Mph tops..

Anyone spot any holes in the plan?

If you have a tracking shot from a truck you need a driver, sure. But for what about the rigs and camera fixing, it's defenetly a grip you need.

I wonder if Danny saw my mistake and corrections...

well, there would only be one camera and I'd be running that. I'd have a driver for both vehicles and an assistant to signal the drivers of the vehicles. I'd also keep a couple of extra folks around just in case...

Yah I've been watching all the replys. Those suggestions are actually very helpful Laurent, I just am not sure where to obtain those supplies. With this being a rather uppity middle class suburb, the village most likely won't even let me get through asking before saying no. But I'm thinking that if the sequence is just a series of very short cuts, the driving could be done safely and fairly easily, because there would be spotters everywhere to make sure the stretch of road is secure, and then the car would only have to floor it for a matter of 5 seconds at a time. Plus I know the areas that have little or no traffic. We'll see if the project even happens.

Should I be able to find this equipment at my local rental houses? Or is there a link online that maybe someone can PM me? thanks!

Network Sponsors

Back