Can I use a cheap tape recorder?

Neil

If I have a pretty sweet mixer and a decent mic, can I just use a cheap tape recorder attached to the mixer? Not only will it sound DECENT but will it work? Can you use a mixer to get tape recordings into a computer or am I in way over my head...

Please help me!!!

If you have any suggestions of what you did, I would really love to hear it. I want to get some decent dialog that sounds at least close to movie-like. You know, deep bass. No high gain noise.

Anybody?!?!

First, the quality of the audio recordings is going to depend upon the quality of the equipment with which it is being recorded. Second the audio quality will be dependent upon the expertise of the person using the equipment.

Your definition of a "sweet mixer" and "decent mic" may be different than mine, so specifics regarding what you are using would be a help.

Recording the audio directly to the camera (assuming that you are using a video camera and not film) will probably sound better than recording to a "cheap tape recorder".

If going directly to camera is not an option you can find a used DAT field recorder for around $300-$400. Good flash recorders, like the Marantz PMD-660 and the Fostex FR2-LE, start at around $600 by the time you get the flash card(s), a case, etc.

Thanks for the reply! I never thought you can do it straight into the camera on account of the fact that I'm an idiot. I spent so much time in the last months focusing about video I kind of panicked when I thought about sound. A friend of mine straightened me out like you did, telling me about going into the camera with it.

Still, thanks again for responding. Your answer was only a night's sleep away! I can't wait to get my camera!!!

-Neil

You may want to check out my blog on production sound; since you're an "idiot*" it may contain some useful information you need to know.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=111888913&blogID=265521269

*We're all "idiots" when we get started. You did one smart thing so far, you asked a question, and as my grandpa used to say, "There's no such thing as a stupid question."

The secret to making a good project is PREPRODUCTION. Think your project all the way through.

Network Sponsors

Back