Are 25p and 30p shooting formats compatible?

seroe

i read somewhere that final cut pro, since beginnign of last year, is not compatible when u have shot in 25p or 30p?

is this true

Depends on the format. It's not that it "stopped" doing anything, ever. And "as of last year", well, nothing stopped working since last year. But there are several new proprietary formats various camera makers have put out recently, and continue to add at a furious pace (so much for industry standards, which do NOT exist for HD in any real world form), NLE makers are simply racing to keep up.

Literally, what you state, is plain not true. What format are you referring to?

That was when that model first came out, and Canon had a very proprietory way of doing 24p and 30p. No NLE at that time supported it right out of the gate. But today pretty much everyone, including FCP, can handle it. That's pretty out dated info. One of many reasons I don't pay attention to Wikipedia, too much out dated and plain out false information.

If you actually check Apples FCP 6 page, check the supported devices list, this camera is actually listed as supported as of FCP 5.1. So, who do you trust, a Wikipedia entry from a whole year ago when this camera just first hit the market and by some total stranger who's credentials you are unaware of, or Apple's own site today?

totally fair point - just checking what the truth was and why they were sayin it

while im here - quick one, canon xha1 ir xl2, off the bat

Both, from what I understand. But check Apple's site yourself to get the best and most current info.

Depends on what you plan to do, what your needs are. Print the tech specs for each one out, place them on a table, sit there and stare at them asking yourself, "what do I really need, as opposed to what I want, and which will server me better?"

i have done that, but i literall cant choose.

i hated the xm2, but the hd looks amazing. but its the entry level

the xl2 is the top range minidv, but not hd

i just dont know AT ALL and i have 11 hours to make the decision before i lose out on a great deal with the lens adaptor and other good extras for the xl2

seroe said:
i hated the xm2, but the hd looks amazing.
Then how can you not choose? Go with the one that looks amazing and not with the one that you hate. Forget about "entry level". Go with what you like, not with what someone else labels it.

After all, it is going to be your camera, not ours. So, it does not matter what we think. The only thing that matters is what you like, as you will be the one working with it.

i said i hated the XM2, not xl2, as i understand the xha1 is similar to the xm2 only hd...

i know its my camera etc, but there is obviously n opinion on what is the better camera, all round. i get the pros and cons for each, and i have my own needs from each, but from other peoples perspective, and experience, i would like to know opinions.

if, from someone more experienced with both standard and HD , or better still, these cameras, u were choosing, which would u choose. like - what would someone totally in the know say, if u get my meaning.

unless you're planning on investing in a bunch of extras for your xl2 (lenses, etc.), go with the xha1. it has an amazing stock lens built into it, and if you really want to get professional, you can always get a 35 mm adapter for it and rent some 35 mm lenses to shoot with.

i personally don't see the point in investing that much in an out of date technology

i was planning on gettin the wide angle lens for it.

what is the focal range in 35mm terms for the XHA1 ?

also - the main thing that attracts me to the xl2 over the xha1 is 'cine look' features, with presets and full control over image, do you know if the xh-a1 actually has this anway? and if not can it be achieved to just the same level in post production

thanks ppl

There's no magic button to give you a "film" look. 24p can start you off, but there's lighting, composition, movement, etc, etc, through to color grading in the final phase before showing the project publicly.

Keep in mind that if you shoot HD, edit HD, and output that to SD, it'll look quite a bit better than if you had shot it on SD to start with.

If this camera is going to be what you use for a long time, be sure you have something that will grow with you over time. Go HD if you can afford it. You can still shoot SD if you want. But HD has many more advantages. Pulling keys and color grading is infinitely easier with HD (even HDV's limited color space) than SD, for example.

Also, look at Sony's line up. Canon is not the only game in town, and Canon is not necessarily the best game in town today, either. JVC is nice, but they lack compared to Sony and Panasonic. But in the end, it's your decision. Download the spec sheets on all the cameras you're considering, look at the specs yourself. Go find folks locally you can talk to face to face who use these cameras, that's the best thing to do.

Personally, if I had to chose between the XL2 and the XHA1, I'd not think twice about going with the XHA1. As has been stated, the XL2 is really, really old and outdated...

Network Sponsors

Back