24P, 24i, 25P, 25i...

R

rdegracia

I would like to get some information about all the confusing new ads on camera manuals... They all are selling cameras that promises 24P, 25P, etc... even in DV formats... Is this real progressive processing? What are they doing exactly? where is the trick?. Is Canon XL2 able to shoot progressive? and what about the new HDV Sony format? If it isn't really progressive... what is this?...

When would you reccomend to use progressive or interlaced?

What camara would you say is better?... XL2? HDV Sony? PD170? AGVX100A? ... what are their autenthic secret or powers?

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo De Gracia. DP

Re: 24P, 24i, 25P, 25i...

For future reference, please post questions like this in the camera and/or digital cinematography section, thank you.

Okay, among the cameras you’ve addressed:
1. The Canon XL2 shoots 24 and 30 progressive with 60i.
2. The Panasonic AG-DVX100a shoots 24 and 30 progressive with 60i (it was the first camera to bring this feature set to the prosumer market).
3. The Sony PD170 shoots interlace, and 15 progressive, in either the DV or DVCAM format
4. The Sony HDV models record 1080i; they do not shoot at a progressive frame rate, though they try to simulate it. Here’s a link to Adam Wilt’s cineframe page that explains in greater detail how Sony accomplishes 1080i with a simulated progressive frame rate. http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html

On a side note: JVC and Panasonic’s prosumer HD/HDV offerings do employ true progressive modes.

rdegracia said:
When would you reccomend to use progressive or interlaced?

It’s often argued that if you’re shooting with the intent to transfer to film for cinema, progressive is the best way. Otherwise, 1080i fits nicely into broadcast.

rdegracia said:
What camara would you say is better?... XL2? HDV Sony? PD170? AGVX100A? ... what are their autenthic secret or powers?

That’s a tough question, I won’t claim one is better than the other and start a battle among loyal users in this thread, but I will say that if I were handed any of these cameras I’d be able to use each of them to their advantages and produce good results. They are all solid tools, with some remarkable engineering behind them, and as long as the person behind it knows how to use it, the results will be in their favor.
You should seriously try to test each model/format for yourself to see which model/format suits you, your projects, and your own authentic or secret powers best :wink:

Network Sponsors

Back