Advice for Student Filmmaker...

I

IUPhilmMaker

I'm putting together my 20 minute short for a film contest and I have access to Final Cut Pro HD and IMovie and while I'm well aware of all the great things Final Cut Pro has to offer but it seems a little more multifaceted than i need for this particular project
, I was wondering if someone could tell me the upsides as well as the downsides of using IMovie for such a small project! THanks!

Patrick

Well... right off the bat...
Imovie is a program designed & built for the home-movie-maker... AKA... Kid's birthday parties... Christmas... Bowling Adventures... Family Vacations... ETC.

Final Cut Pro is a professional video editing station that gives you the full range of effects that you can put to use on your film.

Also... Imovie is typically not meant to do much of anything on a 20 minute film... where as FCP is meant to work on anything from 1 second long to several hours in length.

Final Cut Pro also has the tools to give yoru project a professional look... where as Imovie will make your film look like you did it in Imovie.

Anyhow... choice is up to you... but as a long time editor who's seen the difference first hand... I'd say use FCP.

Thanks...I have free access to both and so I was just looking to get a second opinion. I was leaning towards FCP but thought I'd seek outside assistance.

I used both on my last project

I used both on my last project

Do the cutting (shot to shot editing) in FC.

Play with imovie a little.........I used it to stylize my entire short film (film grain, projector noise) AFTER editing it in FC.

Unless you are absolutely using HD...................use what you LIKE.

scott

Network Sponsors

Back