XL-2 vs DVX-100

seanoop

I'm looking into finally getting myself a decent camera for independent work (the tiny one I have just isn't getting it done), and I've narrowed the decision to either the Canon XL-2 or the Panasonic DVX-100. From what people have been telling me, both are one of the premiere choices for your first decent camera, and they have decent price points as well. I have about $2,000 to spend, and though the DVX-100 is cheaper, I just wanted to know what the opinions are of people who have actually used them.

i use DVX100 and i love it

just having it repaired at the moment though. had a major breakdown but it is four years old. not heard much about the canon though

very easy... the DVX!!!
hell of a camera and gives you a lot of serious cinema possibilities...
I have one and use it as second static camera... or sometimes when I am just lazy and don't want to bring my HPX with me... then the DVX will do the job...

To be honest, you can't really go wrong with either of them. Personally I prefer the look of the DVX footage, but you lose some features of the XL2 like the interchangeable lenses and the true 16:9 shooting (I may be wrong, but I believe the XL2 has that and the DVX100 doesn't?).

So I'd look at which features you want and pick on that basis... if you want a good semi-pro DV camera you're unlikely to regret buying either of them so long as it does all the things you need it to do.

Network Sponsors

Back