dvx-100 flaw?

edbrooke

Hey I read somewhere that the onboard mic of the dvx picks up the noise of the camera, does anyone know if this is true? I was on the verge of buying this model 'til I saw this

Re: dvx-100 flaw?

edbrooke said:
Hey I read somewhere that the onboard mic of the dvx picks up the noise of the camera, does anyone know if this is true? I was on the verge of buying this model 'til I saw this

It might be true, but many prosumer camcorders have this flaw. Look how close the mic is to the tape transport on any of these cameras and you'll see why this occurs. Then go look at the distance between the two on a full size professional rig, and you'll see why it doesn't occur so much on those. I wouldn't let it dissuade you from buying it.

Besides, most people will recommend NOT using the onboard mic for any kind of serious audio recording. Most on board camera mics are sub-par to begin with (though the DVX's mic ain't half bad). In a somewhat noisy environment, you're not going to hear the tape transport, and in a relatively quiet environment (where you'd likely hear it) you most likely should be using an external mic anyway. Getting a short shotgun mic or a lavalier mic will increase the quality of audio recordings big time.

Where did you read about this?

Anyone else have different experiences with this?

edbrooke said:
Thanks for the reply, I read it in this article:

http://digitalfilmmaker.net/PanasonicDVX100Review.html

Seemed reliable

I'm sure it is. I'm not denying that there might be noise. I'm just suggesting you will get better results by using an external mic. Most camcorders will give you that noise, from the simple fact that they're so close to the tape transport system!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

I'd agree with filmosity. I have seen this camera in action. The end product is film like quality. We used a boom mic for sound...and overall I am impressed by this camera. The only other camera that compares imo is the XL-1 or XL-2. The canon's are probably overall superior...but if youre making independent films, then the ag-dvx100a is the way to go.

Network Sponsors

Back