Working in the Hollywood

Kim Welch

Staff member
Working in the Hollywood is not only about what you know about filmmaking and how well you do it. It’s about who you know. Sons and daughters, friends of the family and friends of friends are hired over the talented new comers. This applies to the Unions the societies and studios. Networking and getting to know people is as important as being good at what you do. This applies to Actors, Production assistants, Costume designers, Directors, Cinematographers, Wardrobe... and all positions. You can't always be born with a parent or grow up next door to someone who can open doors and get you jobs but you can get to know people and ask for a chance to work on set. Start with school. Hang out with the winners and make friends with the professors. Also, go to organization and industry events. Be on your best behavior and introduce yourself and let them know what you are interested in. Be willing to start at the bottom. The right contact pulling for you could give you the opportunity that will make your career. This does not mean you don’t need to be talented and hardworking but it could be the difference in years of struggle and the ramp to getting on with the right people and making a long and successful career ( In Hollywood)

Last edited:
Depends on how much. If I didn't have to worry about money and had time? I would flush out one of my ideas and seek funding to produce it. Probably enter it in festivals.

I would first get my cinematographer and director on board and if possible bankable talent. Put together a business plan and budget and then I will tell the people I know in the industry what I have and see what they think. I might also do a crown funding campaign as well as traditional fund raising.

I would first get my cinematographer and director on board and if possible bankable talent. Put together a business plan and budget and then I will tell the people I know in the industry what I have and see what they think. I might also do a crown funding campaign as well as traditional fund raising.

Good luck man. It is great! :)

Network Sponsors

Back