Which has the better editing software?

jblackwell

I have a Dell desktop right now, but I'm in the market for a laptop before I head off to college. I'm looking to spend less than $2000 if possible. Should I go for a PC or a Mac? I love iMovie and Final Cut, but I could be persuaded to get a PC if the software in a student's price range is comparable to Final Cut Express. PCs tend to be less expensive too, so that's appealing. Any advice on what kind of laptop a beginner filmmaker should get?

Get a mac, pc's are too much trouble (to many bugs).

I've been using this PC for about 3-4 years now...brand new when I got it...and its still in fantastic shape. I've been editing on it for the last two years and haven't had any more bugs than I've gotten on a mac.

if you take care of your computer... PC v MAC means very little. However, the following is something to consider:

Macintosh is pretty much tailor made for the video professional. Their laptops are phenomenal, and will run Final Cut Pro or Avid Express pefrectly.

PC is great too... however, you're then excluded from Final Cut Pro.

Basically, here's what to think about when considering this:

#1 - If you're truely serious about being a filmmaker, do not consider I-Movie. The program is designed for the home-video maker... it's for mom and dad to put their x-mas video's and soccer tapes onto a digital medium... some "fancy" editing, and they can feel more special about it... adding music and th like.

#2 - Professional software, even a lower-end version, is a must. Final Cut Pro is great, and so is the low-end version Final Cut Express. Avid Express Pro is great, and so is the low-end version Avid Express DV.

#3 - A macintosh will allow you to select from a number of the best systems to buy... mainly Avid and Final Cut. If you can't afford the full versions, definetly go for the low-end versions.

#4 - While PC will open you up to using something like Vegas... that's likely out of your price range. Also, the PC is rarely set-up perfectly for video on a mac... meaning USB importing.

#5 - Macintosh comes set-up with Fire-wire importing... so you'll be all set to work in DV at the highest level.

#6 - A lot of people will start praising the attributes of "Adobe Premiere." However, you should visit the AVID forum below... where I've posted a beautiful comparison review of Avid, Premiere and Final Cut... to sum it up though... Premiere is nothing more than a glorified home-movie editing platform... it's a RAM hog, and the results never equal the work your computer will do to get those results. It's still a good program... but only when you're restricted to using it. see the AVID forum to find out more.

So, overall, my recomendation would be to buy the Mac.
They're fast, they're made for film & video makers, and they're built to work.

Good luck and happy shopping!

i agree

i agree

in my school we have video production classes and i agree that a mac is sooo much better..... there a little harder to learn from a begginers point of view but when you get nthe hang of it its like riding a bike once you have learned youll nenver forget.... unless you develope a rare case of alstimers in a young age.... than your screwed..... :D

Network Sponsors

Back