Has anyone tried Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro?

Oskar Kuusk

Pocket cameras seem to be an upcomming trend. I tried Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro in the past weeks and I was thinking purchasing one myself. I am still looking for feedback from those who actually got to use it.
The price is ar ound $2500 on Amazon and it also needs lenses and accessories. And this is another complex topic.

@robmedia seems like the best person to answer this, after seeing his photos in Production Stills :)

I'm obsessing over this camea as well. The youtube videos are not very relevant because not everyone knows how to set up this camera and use it to its full potential.
I looked, and looked, and looked some more and this video is the most relevant one I found

You guys are so much more pro than me...I just upgraded my phone to iPhone 13 Pro. That was my big camera upgrade LOL

You guys are so much more pro than me...I just upgraded my phone to iPhone 13 Pro. That was my big camera upgrade LOL
Don't worry, you can make amazing content with an iPhone, too! :) You just need to get creative :D

I have not used the camera but I hear it has very poor battery life, no 4k raw, no 6k prores and limited autofocus options. I would go with a Sony or Canon

Last edited:
I have been using the pocket 6k (non-pro version) for almost a year now and shot 4 short films on it. The BM pocket series (4k, 6k & pro) are by far the best run and gun cinema cameras you fill find at their price point. The color science is second only to Arri and when you properly expose your footage, most viewers cannot tell the difference. This camera paired with a free license of resolve studio will give you the best image in its price class bar none, I promise you that.

This camera is best suited for narrative or documentary filmmaking. If you are working within commercial (low budget), photography or wedding then it is better to get a photo/video hybrid like the sonys, panasonics or canons as this camera is pure manual with terrible photo options.

If however you are set on making narrative/documentary your main career then know that this camera does not cost $2500. In order to fully utilize the blackmagic you will need to get cfast cards, to take advantage of the 6k resolution, you will need at least 1 ef lens, you will need a body rig, a dtap converter and a vmount type battery to keep the camera running for more than 20 mins. After all these accessories you will still need a good computer that can process 6k raw footage. My $3K 2018 i7 PC could not handle 6k and constantly crashes on davinci resolve. My 2015 macbook pro finally died when transferring 6k files (corrupting some takes) so I had to upgrade to a $3K m1 pro. Yes this is the cost of working with 6K that people don't mention. Hard drives add up cost and the cfast cards 256gb can only hold about 20 min at 24fps. So it's not cheap.

The pro version adds nd filters, hdr foldable screen, ability to attach viewfinder accessory and compatibility with sony batteries. These stuff are all good if you shoot a lot outdoors or in very low angles, like you're laying on your stomach on the ground. So if you need that then the extra 25% cost is worth it.

These series of cameras will probably last another 3-4 years before the next major leap in technology, so if you can afford it I would buy it. Cameras also don't hold their value so don't expect to make some money back if you regret your purchase.

Pros -

- Run & gun 1 person crew narrative & doc

- Best color science vs sony panasonic canon

- 6k ultra sharp image if you master down to 4k output

- BRAW gives you immense latitude giving you a large room of error for under and over exposing. (Proper exposure if you want best image)

- Dual 400 and 3200 iso. No more crazy amount of lights for night shoots, 1 or 2 mini leds is enough and the footage isn't noisy.

- Looks like a photo camera, so if you film at public locations, people wont stop or bother you.

Cons -

- No auto features (but if you want to be a cinematographer you shouldn't rely on auto)

- Requires a powerful computer with latest graphic cards to process 6k. At least i9 + Nvidia 16gb vram or m1 pro/max

- Requires a lot of accessories to get the best out of it. At least another $2K if you don't buy used.

- A complete package that will allow you to film 30 minute short films or documentaries (assuming you own no equipments at all) will run you around $6k not including sound equipment, lights, or post prod workstation.

- Corrupt braw footage are crazy expensive to fix. Only 1 company on earth that can do it.

So there you go, this is definitely not a beginner or low end camera, even though the price may deceive you. If you are still starting out and don't know if you want to only do films and enjoy photography/vlogging/social media posts then it's best you get a cheaper photo/video hybrid that can shoot mp4 and prores.

But if you have the money and are ready to take the next step and you master this camera, then you will get as good footage as arri alexa mini for fraction of the cost. I started out with canon 7d - BMC2K - Ursa 4k - now BMPC 6K and I don't regret my purchase.

Good luck on your choice, and remember, it's not about the Ks and the specs, it's about the best story.

Network Sponsors

Back