What kind of editing software does say universal use

G

Gavin

Ok so i was in film class today and we were discussing editing softwares came up and we discussed about what kind of software do companies like universal use, I said probably avid but no one to my astonishment besides my teacher new about it. Can any fo you guys shed some light on this.

Actualy companies like Universal, dont use Avid either...

They use stuff like Discreet Smoke, Flame, Inferno, Luster.... etc to do all their post image work.

Smoke would be the editing program btw... all depending on the resolution of the scan.. 2k or 4k the computer differs.. but thats about it..

Discreet Smoke is my guess.. but each individual production will choose where they want to finish their films.. universal doesnt own editing suits... Or any editing stuff at all.. or cameras for that matter..

They have money to rent Each and every time New Stuff which lets them make better looking films each time and they save alot of money that way.

So to answer your question.. they dont edit with Avid, unless the production is called to be finished on Avid... Although an industry stanard, not for hollywood motion picture. Avid can only handle up to HD, not 2K.... but I might be mistaken... 2K is just a little more resolution then HD

ok thats what i was sort of thinking, im guessing this editing programs are like not really available to the public

its available, but there's no point on using them because they are made specialy for high resolution editing... That means if you're image is not 2K or larger, no point.

HD editing is good on regular computers, 2K and 4K.... is still left for high end editing systems... look up SGI thats one of the companies which is used for that..

What's cool about the SGI systems... and or the Nvidia Quadro plex is that it can handle the resolution, uncompressed... thats like madness... its huge...

Anyway... for now Avid is the best you can get to industry standard on a PC, if on Mac, people are still fighting over Avid or Final Cut Pro.... personally I like Avid because you can cross over systems, from Mac to Pc and back... so you're not limited to work only on a Mac... etc, like Final Cut.

Only recently FCP as been getting a little advantage, but you've got to decide what works best for you.

GL!

So to answer your question.. they dont edit with Avid, unless the production is called to be finished on Avid... Although an industry stanard, not for hollywood motion picture.

Uh, normally you'd edit on Avid (or, in the last year or two, FCP) and then if you needed a higher-quality final edit you'd conform that elsewhere from the EDL. Editing a movie on an extremely expensive effects system makes little sense; why tie it up for months when you're not using those effects?

You cannot really make the statement "Universal uses ______ software for editing their films" because it is a bit like saying what lenses or cameras Dreamworks or Disney use to shoot their films.

There are a variety of different packages that are being used depending upon tradition and history. I'm sure a number of facilities use Avid for offline projects and doing various projects like trailers, if they have been using Avid in the past. I am an certified Avid Media Composer editor, however, a number of facilties I've worked in are switching because of the cost.

But again, these studios don't have their own editing benches or standards for the software/hardware because, for the most part, they rent them or the production company contracts for post-production facilities and equipment.

For a studio to have an "editing softare standard" would be about the same as a studio saying, if you make a film with us you must use a Panavision camera because that is our standard for how movies will be shot.

There's some confusion in this thread.

Nobody edits in 2k/4k. There have been a few shows now edited in HD on Avid Adrenalins but they are limited.

Different machines have different stengths and weaknesses, and as such there are different process that a show will go thru.

Offline, is the process where the "creative" edit is done. This is all about picking the right performances, creating a story, and getting timings right. Generally every piece of vision is in the edit system so the editor can bring it up on demand. Working with high resolution frames will kill you in regards to cost and the system will be so unresponsive (say render!!) will kill any kind of feel you get from cutting a show.

Therefore an offline is done at a compressed resolution in either PAL/NTSC. Once the cut has been locked off then it gets passed onto an online box like smoke/ds/iq etc. There the show is scanned/reconformed at higher resolutions, effects added, titles etc. rendered than output to desired format.

FYI, Sgi is dead in the water. All discreet products (smoke/flame/inferno etc) are now being released on linux which runs on normal PC hardware. New version of lustre which is a CC program now actually runs on windows.

To answer your quesion, Universal will have Avid's. However most stuff as previously mentioned will be dry hired to external facility's.

Lightworx along with FCP are other popular choices for offline.

fancourt said:
There's some confusion in this thread.

Nobody edits in 2k/4k.

you're kidding me right?

People who shoot 35mm film and telecine at 4K do their edits online... That is the beauty of Non linear editing... They could also be doing an offline too, Granted. They edit on smaller resolution and then take their EDL to a system which does support high end res...

Many ways to edit 4/2K

They edit on smaller resolution and then take their EDL to a system which does support high end res...

Exactly. I don't believe you'd disagreeing with what the earlier poster said... they don't edit at that resolution, they do the edit at lower resolution and then finish it on a much more sophisticated (and expensive) system.

Avid.

Avid.

DBXMe2 (and Gavin),
Editing, especially in big productions, is divided into 2 stages: offline and online. Offline is the creative part - where picture quality doesn't matter that much - and in the online, the edit decision list is conformed to the highest-quality master.

Avid is still the industry standard for top studios. screenlabs is right, but there's still a strong preference for Avid (and Panavision too :) ) among ACE (and ASC) members, who're the ones working on these productions.
I was at Sony Picture Studioes recently, and indeed they use Media Composer (an old version, btw).
Online and DI can be done on any number of systems.

For anything else, FCP is catching up FAST.

AVID!

AVID!

I was fortunate enough to shoot a documentary about 3 months ago, which was produced by an editor for universal. He had been an editor at universal for many years, until a certain number of years ago, when they decided to start outsourcing editing. He now edits for the company they outsource too. He told me that they all edit on Avid, and that they always had. Just gonna throw it out there.

What the big guys use

What the big guys use

Hello all im a newbie to avid and i just want to im lovein it from what im seeing i made the right choice. i have a lot to learn and at my age 59 the ride is only gonna get better.
i bought a turn key system from pro max avid pro hd with a mojo i plan to up grade to media composer soon ( when the money comes in ) but back to the topic as editing soft ware gets better the tools will get more affordable But The Industry will always reserve the
top of the line for them selves to keep the barrier between amature prosumer industry meisterburgers ( lol ) its always been that way digital video frightened them because people jumped on it quickly ( more quickly than they thought ) it caught them off guard
so the new tech was rushed out and developed quickly. to maintain the Gap
betwixt them and us. yet we use thes tools and despite them be very creative.
so leran all you can and be as good as you can study constantly. cus ya cant stifel creativity
Prof

Network Sponsors

Back