What Equipment Do I Need for a Pro-level Product B-roll + YouTube Filming Studio?

AF0678

Hope it’s alright to post this here! I am trying to set up a studio to film YouTube product reviews. I will be on camera, plus filming lots of product B-roll (Peter Walbeck style). Below is the list of equipment I am planning on getting (I am using a Canon EOS 2D Mark II). But before I purchase, I'm hoping that someone with more experience here can review my list before I purchase... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TLDR: is this equipment list good for a pro-level product B-roll + YouTube studio setup? Anything missing? Anything not worth it?

Here is the link to my equipment list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JUGA0d7ZP-2nLSCp4UD3S9Ix5lsHA_EMJKS1wwZQ1DA/edit#gid=0

Hey there!

What exactly do you mean by "Pro-Level"? Because to achieve the real pro-level, you need a higher budget than the one listed in the draft. Also, you need to consider that there are other accessories that you need to purchase for the selected setup to work properly. For example, for the microphone, Shure SM7B, you will also need FetHead. Rode NT1A is a good alternative with a good quality as well :) And it works without FetHead. For the stand, a boom-arm is more appropriate. Your stander is best for live performances, not for B-rolls or podcasts. I had that as well and since I got the boom-arm, I am very happy. You need to do your own research and see if the stand can support the weigth of the microphone. Sometimes, the microphone is too heavy or too light for the stand.

I have Rode NT1-A and I use the Rode PSA1, which are a perfect fit. You need to find the perfect fit for your chosen mic as well. The Mixer you have chosen is ok, however, my personal favorite for that budget is Yamaha MG10 XU. You also need to take a day or two to set up the mic with the mixer. The settings are not premade and it is very tricky and time consuming to set up until you reach the quality you wish.

Honestly, for that setup, the Keylight is not a necessity and it works with 2 ringlights which usually come with a stand of their own. You also did not input nay camera. A DSLR or Mirrorless is better than any webcam for this task, and Sony A7 III does the job. Again, you will need accessories like good Lens or Elgato CamLink to connect your camera to the PC.

But really, as Kim said, in the end, it would be easier to rent equipment until you find the one you are most comfortable with, start making content and then reinvest the money you will make from your content into purchasing good equipment. :)

On another note, I am looking forward to see your content in our Showcase section on our forums! Good luck!

Network Sponsors

Back