What do you think makes a good film proposal?

Kim Welch

Staff member
What do you think makes a good film proposal? Who would I look to to get funding and how would i want to approach them? would having someone like Roy Wagner, ASC or another ASC member who has agreed to shoot it a plus. What about talent? is there some kind of standard pre funding agreement that these people might sign on to do the film with me?

Kim

A good film proposal begins with a visual description of the film. Two dynamite paragraphs at the beginning that knock your sox off and make you want to know more. Don't forget we are story tellers first and foremost so leave out the technical and stick to your griping story.

For a feature film the first person you attach is your cameraman and having Roy Wagner, ASC would be an excellent choice. He would be able to tell you where to hire the rest of your camera crew and give you advice on your grips, electricians and many other crew members because of his many years on the set and knowledge of who works well together. Putting a crew together is like making a great desert; you have to have the right ingredients (people) to get that fabulous film.

Usually the script is the reason you can get your stars, of course money is also paramount but I have seen expensive stars work for scale to do something they love. Look at Woody Allen, he only pays scale and actors are clamoring to be in his films. I think it all starts with a good script and the Cameraman, the producer and the Director must have the vision of the writer. When all three are aligned you have a synergy that bursts through the screen and you become totally emerged in the film.

What do you mean by "only pays scale"

Kim

Actors seldom work for "scale" that is the minimum amount required by their union. Normally their agents negotiate a higher price. When you have a great script that can take an actor to a new level, if they love the script and want to be part of a low budget independent production or a TV actor who wants to move to film, then sometimes you can get the actor to work for the minimum amount allowed and that is "scale."

What is the scale?

What is the scale?

How much is an actor in USD if they work for scale? Like say I have the script for an actor like Tom Cruise and he loves it and wants to do it. What would scale in dollars be for him and would it be different for a new actor? How can i find out the numbers for an actor or actress? Also is it correct to say actor and actress or are they all "actors" now?

Actor is used for both sexes. To get the scale for an actor, you can call the Screen Actor's Guild in Hollywood.

No Kim, each union has a different pay scale and rules that you need to know. That's why a good production manager is worth gold. If you don't have a pm on staff then get a good program to do your budget. I recommend Budget Pro by setmanagement.com

A great proposal for a film looks like a great proposal for a new business that you would take to the bank in order to get a loan. One of the best that I've seen included a synopsis of the project, storyboards, basic line-item budget, time-frame, as well as anybody attached.

Film Proposal

Film Proposal

Kim,

A great film proposal will be close to a business plan, in that it shows how the investor will get paid back the money he's going to give you. For this, you need to do some sales projections based on the type of film you are going to make, etc. It also helps to make a little 'campaign' for your film ie: create some artwork, a website, etc. I've outlined a lot of this in my new book "Insiders Guide to Film Distribution". Check it out, or sign up for the free mini eCourse at :
http://www.film-distribution-secrets.com/guide.html

Any other questions, let me know!

Stacey

You can't pitch your film until all your paperwork is in place. That means a business plan, a marketing plan, a market analysis, a script, a cast breakdown, contracts and letters of agreement, a professional script breakdown with day-to-day schedules, the complete detailed budget and a realistic cash flow analysis.

You’ll need just about ALL of that, give or take a piece here or there depending on the specific production needs. By and large, there are no shortcuts. Yes, you can find templates for schedules and budgets, you can read the Cliff Notes of someone else's business plan. But in the long run, those things will only be marginally helpful because YOUR film is unlike any other film. If you get cracking, working every day, it takes from three to six months after you’ve acquired the script.

Fortunately, there are groups that can help with each of these elements. I stress HELP. Don't expect to find a single group for everything - all these specific things are way too varied and complex for that. Fortunately, Yahoo and Google are really good at searching for the groups you need.

THE FILM BUDGETING GROUP on Yahoo is one of the key groups. It's the only one of its type, devoted exclusively to the CRAFT OF MAKING BUDGETS. It’s at http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/FilmBudgeting/.

The group lists most film budgeting programs (along with users' reviews), links to production forms and almost every other tool you need to deliver accurate film and video budgets. There are also extensive files outlining how (and why) to make accurate, detailed budgets. The most important asset is that members have access to each other - over 1300 active, working filmmakers share information and know-how, guide newbies and provide real answers to tough budgeting questions.

Before you sign up, keep in mind that the group does NOT do any sort of fundraising. In fact, you’ll probably get kicked out just for asking about raising funds. The group is exclusively about the craft of making budgets.

Be sure to search for similar groups about making schedules, writing business plans, developing a cash flow analysis.... In the long run, you'll need them all. (It’s too bad that very few film schools are teaching the BUSINESS of filmmaking, so I don't know of any other way of acquiring the essential knowledge.)

If you decide to become part of the budgeting group, please mention studentfilmmakersforums.com.

Norman C. Berns
filmbudgeting@gmail.com
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/FilmBudgeting/

ANd don't forget that the best proposal is your own face. Start taking people out to lunch or coffee. Do the schmooze thing for a while. It's better if you genuinely like the person, and they like you and are interested simply because they like the idea, not because they think it'll make money. A proposal I'm puting together right now includes all of the following:

- Mission Statement
- One page about story
- Character Biographies
- Full synopsis, including portions of script.
- Storyboards, to give them a visual cue
- Budget breakdown by department
- Marketing ideas/ audience demographics
- Producers/actors that are attached and/or have shown interest
- Letter of blessing from my local film commission
- Letter of blessing from my state film commission
- Letter of blessing from my Congressional and local political figures
- Letter of support from my state Arts Commission
- Letter of support from the National Film Commission in nation I am shooting
- Letter of support from the Local Film Commission in the town I am shooting in
- Any press that has been provided for my project, locally and internationally

I am also including a DVD presentation, that includes professionally shot interviews with myself, my producer, my director of photography, as well as "animated," narrated storyboards, and historic video and research video I have already shot. I've included the main themes on the interview, and I've also included a cd with the Main Theme and the Love Theme that have been scored and recorded by my regular composer.

As well, I am also aware of whom I send it to - I go through my own contacts, as well as my producer's contacts.

I just try to cover all my bases, so that when somebody decides to turn me down, they know exactly what they are missing out on. And, more importantly, so that when somebody decides to attach themselves, they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

Re: Scale

Re: Scale

KimWelch said:
Is scale not the same for everyone?

Carole, I think he was asking just about actors, not the whole crew. SAG has different contracts available depending on the budget of your film. But scale is the same whether you're a movie star or an actor with one credit. To avoid problems, I'd certainly go with the SAG standard contract if you can at all possibly afford it. The low-budget agreements can be problematic. Also, I'd offer a "Favored Nations" deal to the actors. This means every actor gets paid the same rate, whether double scale, scale plus 10 (meaning you're paying the actor scale plus 10 percent for the agent fee), etc. that way there is not animosity between actors at different rates. Also, the rates are dependent on whether the actor works for a day, a week, or so on. Keep in mind that if you have an actor scheduled for the first week and the last week, you have to pay him for the weeks inbetween...within guidlines. Check the SAG contract for details. Also, keep in mind when budgeting, that all government payroll taxes, FICA, etc., are in effect! When you start shooting, a payroll service is worth their weight in gold! Not just for the actors, but the entire crew.

Dan

Network Sponsors

Back