What do most film schools require what software?

Rxbandit3385

hey hows it goin, i was wondering if any one knows what most schools use in their software department. that would be a huge help. and if anyone knows a website that has a whole list of film schools, please lemme know.thanks alot! 8)

I suspect that various schools have various workflows.

My only caution would be to take any school's assertion about what "the industry standard" is...that's a moving target. The days when it was all about one or two brands are gone. And just because one manufacturer still may have the most seats, you're first job may not be using one of them...

My estimation on sheer numbers in the industry would probably be:

1. Avid
2. FCP
3. Lightworks and various other proprietary systems like Quantel, etc.
4. Adobe/Vegas
5. All the rest...

There are still flatbeds out there too of course...

Whatever you end up using, remember that it's just a tool. Don't get too tied up in the science of the hammer, develop skills and knowledge in building houses....metaphorically. Being skillful with the software is fine, but keep in mind that the capabilities that software we're using today are a different world from what we had at our disposal 5 years ago...

Your training will begin at school...it ends when you do.

You can edit posts here, BTW :).

But I agree: if you're a competent editor, you should be able to pick up any software fairly rapidly. There's a lot of software snobbery around, but they all do a very similar job in slightly different ways.

And personally I'm always puzzled when I see ads for editors for low-budget movies where they say 'must use Avid' or 'must use FCP'... as though the software that the editor uses is more important than how they edit!

Network Sponsors

Back