"Big" Film Schools v Small Film Schools

FredGinsburg

Staff member
One of the most common questions that I get from students asking advice about choosing a film school is whether or not it is better to attend one of the larger (and more famous) universities versus some of the "smaller" (and lesser ranked) state schools. Each have their pro's and con's. The larger schools often have more diversification in terms of tech specializations, and a "working" alumni to help with networking. The smaller schools tend to offer more of a jack-of-all-trades approach, better faculty to student ratios (and mentoring), and are more accessible overall. Tuition is a major factor: the big schools are easily upward of 60k per year (figure around 250k total, plus living expenses); the smaller universities may range from 5-15k per year. That is a huge $$$ difference! What a smaller college may lack in new cams or editing computers... you can easily rent or own, with what you save in tuition.

As for faculty. Except in the field of critical studies, these days the majority of faculty are adjuncts (aka part-timers). The days of the full-time, tenured, old professors is gone, especially in production. The Department will have a few on hand, but usually 75% or more of the teaching faculty tend to be adjuncts. Personally, I like the concept of adjuncts in our industry. It means that they come from the biz, not straight from graduate/post-graduate school. They have worked (and still work) professionally in the industry. So, are the Adjuncts at the big colleges better than those at the smaller colleges? Not necessarily! Turns out that the big, expensive (tuition) colleges don't always pay the big bucks to Adjuncts. I used to teach as an adjunct at one of the most recognized film schools in the nation, and they paid me LESS per class than what I earned at CSUN. Also, there are a lot more highly qualified adjuncts out there than there are faculty openings, so it is common for some of the best instructors to wind up at lesser known film schools.

But will attending a famous film school increase your likelihood of Hollywood employment? No. Employers are interested in WHAT you know, and WHAT you can do for them. To be honest, a lot of studio people dislike the "attitude" of students acting more entitled on account of their alma mater, and may even subject you to higher scrutiny. Coming from a well known film school MAY get you an interview if the person on the other side of the desk is an alumni, but with computerized AI doing more of the resume filtering these days -- that advantage is no longer prevalent. The most important thing to bring to a job application is EXPERIENCE. A film that drew attention at a festival. DAYS spent working on serious projects. Studios aren't looking for film critics, historians, wanna-be directors. They want people who understand the aesthetics of good filmmaking, and the basics of current technology (you will learn the advanced nuances of tech AFTER you begin working in the real industry).

Certainly! :D Choosing film schools is a balance. Big schools offer tech options and networking, but smaller ones offer mentorship and affordability. Experience matters most for Hollywood jobs. Thanks for the valuable insights! 🎥

Network Sponsors

Back