Viper Cam

D

Digigenic

Is the Thomson Grass Valley High Def Viper Stream Camera used for "Large Format" Productions? I would think so with three 9.2 million pixel frame transfer CCD's?

As far as I remember from the IMAX seminar I went to some years ago, the effective resolution of an IMAX frame is considered to be something like 12k x 9k pixels. So they've only go to improve by about a factor of ten to match that :).

65mm Film for IMAX Productions

65mm Film for IMAX Productions

The image area on a 70mm IMAX print frame is 2.740 x 1.910 inches (69.6 x 48.5 millimeters). Kodak VISION2 Color Negative Films have a resolution exceeding 100 line pairs per millimeter:

Digital capture formats have a long way to go!

There have been several digitally originated "films" presented on IMAX screens, notably "Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones". I personally was very dissatisfied with the visible artifacts and lack of sharpness on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lockheed Martin has developed a new High Def Prototype for ultra high quality acquisition for IMAX exhibition.
It has one main body unit, which appears to house the prism/light splitter. Then, off of three other mounts in the rear, branching off of the top corner upwards at 45 degrees, the back at 0 degrees, and the bottom corner downward at 45 degrees are 3 more similarly sized bodies. Each of the three bodies house individual full-frame IMAX sensors that hold 12 megapixels a piece. So the main body basically has 4 separate mounts on it, one for the lens, three for individual bodies housing sensors, which might be interchangeable as technology progresses? This is pretty phenomenal...even though it does look kind of scary, the thing looks like it would suck a small sub-division dry of power after one minute of shooting...it's a beast of a camera. I don't even want to know what kind of memory they'd need to store it all...
It'd be funny if it recorded to miniDV tape :)

Network Sponsors

Back