Using one camera.

ChrisHurn

Hey all. I read somewhere that many independent films are shot with one camera. Let's say I want to shoot a conversation, where the camera shows one person talking, then immediately shows the next person for their response. (the next person is opposite them) If I'm using one camera, should I avoid scenes like this? Sounds like I'd have to record one persons line, then stop, turn the camera, record the next line etc... is this what they do? Any advice?

Thanks,

-Chris

Movies are EDITED. Do you think if someone has a brief flashback to when they were a soldier in Vietnam, they cut the camera, fly to Vietnam, shoot the flashback, cut the camera, and fly back and continue shooting the person thinking about Vietnam?

You shoot multiple angles of a scene, often one after the other with a single camera, playing out as much of the scene as you want in that angle, and then in the post-production phase of editing, cut between the angles, as back and forth as you like. Often even the sound of one angle cuts at a different point than the image, so someone may be talking but finishing the line off-camera when they cut to the reaction shot of the person listening.

In the "Return of the King" special edition DVD, they even mention a conversation between Frodo and Sam where they shot Sam's close-up but didn't get around to shooting the reverse angle on Frodo until a year had passed. Then the scene is made up of cuts back and forth between the two angles.

I'd also add that while shooting with two cameras sounds like a good idea, in practice we've found that it usually slows you down: it saves time when shooting, but adds more setup time making sure that the lighting is right on both people, lights can't be seen in the shots, crew can't be seen in the shots, etc.

I'll second that. Two cameras can be annoying. Usually only use a multiple camera setup for complicated, unrepeatable shots (car chase; explosions) or complex wide angles (a Ghandi-esque type scene).

A rule of thumb is to use your one camera and shoot your wide-angles, then your medium shots (usually from the waist-up; over-the-shoulders, etc.) for each character, and then your close-ups (usually framing from the pocket to the top of the head is good for convos) for each character. Sometimes it's good to shoot all the angles for your one character so he can go home (if he has to work or leave or early), then have one of your crew "stand-in" and deliver the lines to the other character. However, it's always best to have the original actor there for that. But you can see how editing is a gift from the gods.

Be creative; remember, the audience will only see what you finally give them. In film, we're allowed to "cheat."

Another principle to remember: when filming, as a director always be thinking "How am I going to edit this shot? How will this cut look?" Make sure action matches.

You could also shoot a wide shot of two people talking without cutting. You might not agree, but I think it's more fluid.

David Mullen ASC said:
Movies are EDITED. Do you think if someone has a brief flashback to when they were a soldier in Vietnam, they cut the camera, fly to Vietnam, shoot the flashback, cut the camera, and fly back and continue shooting the person thinking about Vietnam?

LOL!! i was shooting a film about a vet who had 25 flashbacks throughout the duration of the movie. We had to shut down production on the 5th flashback because we had already spent $25 billion dollars flying everyone back and forth overseas! the most difficult part was that since it was a flashback, we also had to travel backwards in time. In hindsight we could have saved the cost of time travel and spent it on make up!

sorry..couldn't resist

markcheng said:
David Mullen ASC said:

LOL!! i was shooting a film about a vet who had 25 flashbacks throughout the duration of the movie. We had to shut down production on the 5th flashback because we had already spent $25 billion dollars flying everyone back and forth overseas! the most difficult part was that since it was a flashback, we also had to travel backwards in time. In hindsight we could have saved the cost of time travel and spent it on make up!

sorry..couldn't resist

Technically though, during time travel, you actually get your money back so I dont see how you could have run out of money. Unless of course, while traveling back in time, you forgot to sign the reimbursement papers. Dont be embarassed though, it's a common mistake for first time time travelers.

Re: Using one camera.

ChrisHurn said:
Hey all. I read somewhere that many independent films are shot with one camera. Let's say I want to shoot a conversation, where the camera shows one person talking, then immediately shows the next person for their response. (the next person is opposite them) If I'm using one camera, should I avoid scenes like this? Sounds like I'd have to record one persons line, then stop, turn the camera, record the next line etc... is this what they do? Any advice?

Thanks,

-Chris

Shoot a master scene of both actors talking together; then shoot one master scene of each individual doing their entire dialogue. Three masters will be more than enough to cut back and forth and make it seem like a smooth dialogue.

markcheng said:
David Mullen ASC said:

sorry..couldn't resist

You think that's rough, try intercutting between the earth and the moon. At least we saved a little on the lighting. The entire moon gives a nice soft light on their actors.

MarkG said:
I'd also add that while shooting with two cameras sounds like a good idea, in practice we've found that it usually slows you down: it saves time when shooting, but adds more setup time making sure that the lighting is right on both people, lights can't be seen in the shots, crew can't be seen in the shots, etc.

I agree its best to shoot with one camera and to if your on a low budget take the camera of the stand cause if you leave it own their the film is going to look really stiff and lifeless. Take it off use your hands. Get a wheel chair if your don't have a real dolly and use that.

Network Sponsors

Back