Transferring Hi8s onto Computer

ututman4

Hey all,

I'm old school and have a Sony camcorder that only records on Hi8s.

What's the easiest and best way to transfer whatever I have recorded on Hi8 tapes onto my computer?

Thank you.

utut

The same way as mini DV, either firewire if you have it or USB from your camera to your computer depending on what type of software you're editing with.

Ummmm, my camcorder has neither of those.

Wait... what's firewire?

The only output on my camcorder is a simple A/V cable.

ututman4 said:

Wait... what's firewire?

Oh man. Are you sure? If this be so you'd have to get a video capture card before you could transfer this to computer.

director15 said:
ututman4 said:

Wait... what's firewire?

Oh man. Are you sure? If this be so you'd have to get a video capture card before you could transfer this to computer.

Yeah, that's what I figure.

Like I said, my camera has an A/V cable. And on the front of my PC tower are the A/V inputs. They're there... but I don't know how to activate them/utilize them.

Any suggestions?

You should be able to plug them in. If not I would consult with someone that works with computers or someone that works at your local BestBuy etc.
But your probably just gonna have to get a video capture card.

Re: Transferring Hi8s onto Computer

ututman4 said:
What's the easiest and best way to transfer whatever I have recorded on Hi8 tapes onto my computer?
Hi8 is analog, right? If you have a decent analog TV card in your computer, you just connect the cables from the camera to that card and let the card save the input as an MPEG file. And, bingo, it is on your computer. Many of these cards are quite cheap these days since everyone is switching to HDTV.

Alternately, you may get a dedicated capture card which will be more expensive but will probably just give you the same result anyway.

Office Depot has some Hi-Speed USB solutions for 50-100 dollars, check them out... I don't know the quality but it should be worth a go...

The Unsure -Psied

With analog cameras like that, you can also try to get a video converter. They are these little boxes that have both digital and analog outputs and inputs. Sony made one years ago that costs like $300 but it may be cheaper now. You can find these converters online or at most stores that sell professional A/V equipment. Get a firewire cable and connect it to the computer and the video converter. Then connect the output of your camera into the input section of the corresponding part of your video converter box and voila! You can capture the video from your camera using your editing system like Avid, Premiere, FCP or whatever program you use to edit.

OR,

Second option:

If you know of a post-production facility in your area, just make an appointment and pay them to do it. They usually have everything an editor or filmmaker could ask for when it comes to digitizing footage, making copies, converting formats like going from mini-dv to DVD or from film to Beta or whatever.

...hope this helps.

I do Hi8 all the time and use a couple of the Sony Digital 8 handy cams as my playback and transfer decks.
The one I use most is a DCR-TRV240 and it has firewire and will load your Hi8 right into the computer as first gen digital with no loss.

Using the analog transfer will lose some of the quality you really need.
There are several Sony Handicams that are digital8 and are reverse compatible.
You can find these little creatures on such places as Ebay and such.
Read the blogs online and you can see which models will work.

I dump all my footage right into Vegas 5 and from there its off to the rodeo.

My current main cams are two Sony CCD-V5000 pro units that I had rebuilt by a sony tech in Pennsylvania.

These are definately not state of the art but will turn out some good work even today.

Best

Snowy

Network Sponsors

Back