To Start this Shindig Off...

temerson

First, I would like to thank Kim for devoting this section of his site to the business of the business.

Now, on to business...

I'm starting pre-production on a short film this fall. As a producer on the film, I need to figure out where the difference lies between friendship and working. When I am on set as a producer, I do not care if a person has been a professional for a couple of years, or whether they are my best friend: I ride their tail like a cowboy.

Now, this offers a few breakdowns for what we have coming up. The short that we are producing, we are hoping it could be picked up and turned into a feature (a la D.E.B.S.). Any thoughts on how to increase marketing on a small budget? I was thinking something along the lines of a basic business proposal: letter of intent, detailed description of the project, budget, as well as excerpts from the script/treatment, and maybe some storyboards.

ANy thoughts?

hey good thread to start with..I too am producing (and directing!!) a short film this fall..

I think that having a website is extremely helpful along with any type of visual material you can show that somehow helps a potential investor size you up.

For my film, Deployment Strategy, it wasn't until we had the website up and had photos and pictures to show that people really began to take an interest. If you can show how much effort and dedication you have to a project, and get people "involved" early by showing them pre-production work and stuff, then you can start to build momentum and interest in the film before it's even complete...

that's just my two cents! ..and I'm walking the walk too ;)

mark
www.markcheng.com

If you're serious about going for a feature... you'll want to develope a full business plan, marketing strategy, etc.

I'd also recommend running a full business plan for the feature.

Go ahead and market the short... work the free mediums... try go get the local media interested... get them to come to the set while filming... find a way to get a public viewing release with media attention... the more attention you can invent, the more general interest that will follow... and if you manage enough of it you'll have a better chance of pitching a feature.

My suggestion is to up your budget... go for product placement opportunities... this is a commercial business ina capitalist society... working product placement into your films will help you get further along.

Best of luck.

Network Sponsors

Back