Teen with a dream- A newbie who loves low-budget horror

M

MasterOfHorror

My name is Johnathon. I'm 17 years old and I'm from Portland, Oregon. I've been a film addict ever since I was three. I was known in my family for watching Jaws practically every day for two years straight. I started getting into horror films, mostly low budget horror, at the age of eight when I first saw Halloween and Halloween II for the first time. Over the years, I would create my own comic books (very bad ones :lol: ) dealing with the adventures of my favorite movie monsters. Over the past years, I've been a junkie for low-budget horror films. I loved the pseudo-documentary feel to a low budget horror film, and I think that what makes them much more effective than high budget, CGI horror films. My favorite horror films were made on slim budgets and with no big name stars, special effects, etc. Halloween, Black Christmas, Night of the Living Dead, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and The Evil Dead all had that raw, edgy low-budget feel to them, but I think they are the greatest of the horror films. Whenever I watch a low-budget horror film, I just want to go out into the dark with a camera and some fake blood and make my own little horror film. I also love Quentin Tarantino films like his low budget gem Reservoir Dogs. I think that film is an example of an indie film success.

I want to pursue a career of writing and directing horror films. Though I might want to make a fun horror film with frights and blood and such, I also want to make a horror film that could tap into social issues. I think one of the most powerful sequences in a film was the end of Night of the Living Dead which symbolizes many things depending on how you look at it: civil rights, racism, Cold War, Vietnam War, etc. I admire a film, even a horror film, that makes you think.

I recently won first place in the Nicholas Grabowsky 'Beyond Halloween' Screenwriting Contest, and I was an extra in Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park.

I really want to go to a film school like LA Film, Full Sail, or Vancouver Film school, and not really a university with a film program though it would be nice to go to USC where the big boys went.

I'm glad I found this forum. I'm anxious to meet other filmmakers and maybe learn something new and important.

Johnathon.

I too am a teen (15) and love horror. I started making films around 13 with a crappy VHS-C camcorder, mindless violent horror but fun. I enjoy writing too and write many things. So good luck with everything

This is a very good site:
http://lbhfs.proboards18.com/index.cgi

hey.

yeah. I'm 16. My favorite horror film is Halloween too. I've seen all of them multiple times. Although my writing lies mostly in drama and comedy, I love a good scary movie. I've made one or two but nothing worth mentioning. - Favorite holiday has and always will be halloween with AMC Monsterfest on 24/7.

i haven't seen a horror film recently that I've liked though, it's people like you that will hopefully change that.

good luck.

- Caitlin

Keep it up

Keep it up

2 years of Jaws everyday? Man, you don't need to go to film school! I'm not surprised you are doing well.
I'm a USC grad, and think film schools can be very good for meeting professionals and learning their tricks.

But, it's not necessary.

You are on you way! Very cool...

Network Sponsors

Back