Starting Out

dark_reaper

I currently live in an area where we rarely see film projects on both indies, and theatrical. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. I have a couple of years of video experience with small documentaries, commercials or two. I currently work in TV and have been for the past year.

My goal and my goal for the past few years is to become a cinematographer. What should I do, I lack the film experience but have moderate video experience, but I want to gain film experience. I do plan on moving soon, possibly the LA area. I guess the biggest thing I want to ask, once I move over there what will be the best way for me to gain film experience and possibly get jobs?

I spent many years shooting Super-8 film on my own. Then I started doing a few small projects in 16mm with an Arri-S before I went to film school, where I shot dozens of 16mm projects. I also started using video in film school.

When I got out, I mostly shot 35mm and still do luckily.

If you're not getting enough shooting jobs in film, for now, at least rent, borrow, or buy a small MOS 16mm camera and start shooting a few tests and short films for practice. Just don't go broke doing it.

Network Sponsors

Back