Standard Definition vs. High Definition

L

leahsroom

Hello.

I am shooting my thesis film this November 2003. I'm aiming to shoot Super 16 with the hopes of finishing either HD or Standard Definition. I've only begun researching this option and was wondering if you may have any suggestions or comments regarding this process. More importantly, because our budget is small - the option for completing on HD may not be possible. Are the costs considerably different? Are there ways I can try to reduce the cost in post for HD or Standard Def?

Thanks Much!

Leah Anova
Cinematography Fellow
Los Angeles, CA

One option would be to do a film finish (cut negative, answer print) then create a color-timed Super-16 IP, and transfer that to HD.

That might be cheaper than transferring all your footage to HD, editing using SD downconversions, and then doing an HD online session.

Wow!

That never seem to cross my mind. Thank you. I'll haft to check out the costs for this. I'm working with Laser Pacific, LA. Love em! So enthusiastic and willing to work with students.

By the way, loved your work in Northfork. Beautiful. Not trying to win brownie points here but really enjoyed the surreal quality of your lighting and imagery. I just had to say so.

Leah Anova

Network Sponsors

Back