Sounds for my film

director15

Hi guys I'm filmming my first feature film. Well in reality its gonna be about 40 minutes so its really a glorified short.

Anyway let me get to the point. In my film there are a few machine gun sequences. The problem is I don't have real machine guns to copy the sounds from. I have fake guns. Could I copy machine gun sounds from another movie? How would I get these sounds?

Finding good royalty free audio for machine guns has got to be one of the most difficult things. The big issue I've found with it has been finding quality recordings that are full and fleshy enough to allow you to take them and use them raw for close-up and personal shots and still thin them out and add echo and reverb for sequences where they're in the distance, etc... I'd put a shout out looking for an audio recordist who's willing to work for little pay + credit and either already has sounds they're willing to offer up or has the ability to accurately record the audio at a local range. If you can find one working in your area who's got some experience and knowledge and you've got the extra time, helping them out as a grunt to move stuff around and position things and grab them coffee when they need it can be a great way to learn additional stuff about audio.

I'd offer my services up, but we're in different parts of this wonderful country and I don't know that I've got a schedule that will allow me the free time to do this... but I've got some weapons recording I have to do for a short film I'm editing for a friend, so if I get the chance to record automatic weapons fire at the same time I'm sure I'll do so for my own library at the least and I'll be sure to send a note your way.

Re: Sounds for my film

director15 said:
Hi guys I'm filmming my first feature film. Well in reality its gonna be about 40 minutes so its really a glorified short.

Anyway let me get to the point. In my film there are a few machine gun sequences. The problem is I don't have real machine guns to copy the sounds from. I have fake guns. Could I copy machine gun sounds from another movie? How would I get these sounds?

I stumbled across this site the other day http://www.findsounds.com
Not sure if they are of any use but I thought some of their sounds were alright.

You can find a variety of machine gun recordings at Soundsnap. They are all free. You can use them as is or mix them up to get the sounds of many machine guns firing at the same time.

It sometimes takes a while for a page to load on that site. Whenever that happens I just reload the page a few seconds later. I suspect the site is just too popular. :D

I'd say be creative. I took the audio from a car trunk closing in a parking garage and it sounds better than most of the weapons effects I have or found. You can do things like adding reverb and compression to them and layering them so you get the desired semi or fully automatic weapons effect, if you have the software for that.

Network Sponsors

Back