sound speed

Bsmith

ok...I know that when using film, that you have to change the audio recording slower so when your editing...the sound doesn't get ahead of whats on screen...but I was wondering if you have to change the audio speed when recording on minidv..if so to what..I really need to learn more about audio recording.

:)
Hey B,

I shoot DV, but most of the stuff I've done has been non-sync. However, when I am shooting with sound; the only thing I tend to monitor is the volume-levels. I’ve never attempted to make any adjustments to the speed, because the sound is already recorded in camera with the video.

Even if I were to experience syncing issues in DV, which would be very strange, most NLE's offer quick solutions to assist in these types of problems. Some NLE's operate by a stricter code of audio accuracy than others, Sony Vegas, especially when used with Soundforge is an application that takes audio editing just as seriously as video editing.

To me, the post-production audio syncing and/or enhancing process through DV NLE’s will provide satisfying results considering that video and audio should already be synced, so all it needs is a little level adjustment and/or filtration, depending on what you want.

Yeah, DV audio is perfectly in sync with the video (well, to +/- 1/3 of a frame, AFAIR) so there's no reason why you'd have any problems with it.

If you record seperate audio it might get a bit out of sync, but the only problem I've had was when I taped a play for a friend as a favor (video on DV, DAT plugged into the mixing desk), due to recording the DAT audio into my PC with the cheapo sound card which let it get way out of sync over a long period of time: when I recorded the same audio from the DAT to a tape in my DV camera then captured it by Firewire, it was in sync to within a few frames even after an hour of continuous recording.

ok..about DAT...

ok..about DAT...

ok so it sounds like a good way to record audio from DAT is to transfer it to DV then to the computer with firewire...I don't have a DAT but I really want to get one tho the problem is where is a good place to get them and what is a good deal?

:idea:
A buddy of mine uses a minidisc player to record various sound effects and vocals for his music compositions. I would think that could be a probable substitute for a DAT recorder…assuming you’re unable to get a DAT recorder?

Yeah, a decent minidisc recorder is a perfectly good substitute for a DAT in most cases. Sure, it's compressed, but if your locations are quiet enough for you to notice a sound quality loss from the compression, you're extremely lucky! Similarly, you can record sound direct to DV with no problems in most cases, though a seperate recorder is useful for getting atmos tracks, effects and the like.

Otherwise, my DAT walkman cost about $700, I think: sound quality is fine (though there's no digital output), but it's not very robust. Real, solid, location DAT recorders that your PAs can kick around and drop without breaking are generally up in the thousands of dollars.

Network Sponsors

Back