Sony Z1 or V1

KGB

I'm in the process of trying to purchase a new HDV camera and have narrowed it down to either the Sony Z1 or the Sony V1. In the past, I have used the Sony FX1, but needed a new camera and was looking to upgrade...
As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between these two cameras is the V1's ability to shoot in 1080p. Is that a correct assesment?
Which bring me to my next question: is there any reason (if I'm not planning on tranferring to film) that I need to worry about shooting in progressive?
We are a small, low-budget production company that focuses on environmental documentaries. This means that most of of our filming is done outside, in remote locations. We also shoot some action sports.
Also, does progressive take up a lot more hard drive space?
Thanks for the help.

Both cameras are 1080-line HDV, so the bit-rate is identical. I know the Z1 has some features the V1 doesn't, most obviously that V1 can't shoot both NTSC and PAL, though that's less of an issue when you can shoot progressive at 24fps or 25fps and convert to both formats.

The other issue is that the V1 has CMOS sensors rather than CCDs, and right now CMOS generally seems to give a better picture in good light but worse in low light.

So I'm not sure there's a clear winner either way: it will depend on exactly what you need from the camera.

Z1 or V1

Z1 or V1

thanks for the quick reply.
still wondering about the progressive vs interlaced...
if I have no intention of transfering to film, or having the "film look," is there any reason to shoot in progressive? what advantages, if any, does 1080i have over 1080p? Or, what would be a good reason to not shoot in 1080p?
Thanks

1080p will stutter more than 1080i; for some reason some people consider that a benefit because it 'looks like film'. However, given that so many people now watch movies on progressive-scan TVs, that may not matter, and shooting progressive should eliminate the resolution loss from deinterlacing for display on those TVs.

I would suggest the Z1 as it is more versatile than the V1.

If you are not going to shoot in progressive, then there is no need to get the progressive feature.

I'm not sure about the CMOS sensors. The Z1 already requires more lights than the PD-170, so if the CMOS does badly in low lighting conditions, imagine the amount of lights you will require for it.

HDV Wars; Z1U vs V1U

HDV Wars; Z1U vs V1U

This is a debate that is raging on my ranch. I keep hearing that JVC's camera is the tops as there is a whole section at Sundance this next week that will showcase three full length films all shot on JVC HDV and transferred to film. I looked and I could buy a couple of either Sony Z or V for the price. Rediculous at a lower resolution. So, there is also Canon and their products which are nothing to sneeze at but still overpriced and not as high a resolution, namely the 1920x1080 "ultra HD" that is visually stunning and the best. What seems to be driving both JVC and Canon is their ability to change prime lenses and change focal lengths by swapping out lenses;amoung other factors.

Basically, what I personally think is that the HDMI feature will be so necessary that it is helping to determine which one to get for Graduate School Film Production. Also, the V1U is the full ultra at 1920x1080i, but 24p if selected. This is the defining factor here, but is compounded by the ability to use a 4.5 hour full hd tapeless drive that is made just for the V1U speaks volumes to my wallet. Yes, will save a bundle in tapes and not to mention time it takes to digitize from tape will no longer be a factor. You can label and file scenes and takes so it will integrate seemlessly with that little drive that mounts atop the camera. Awesome thing really.

I also understand that the coatings on the lense elements are far superior on the Zeiss lens of the V1U. There will be a special lens for wide angle shots coming out in a few months according to the Sonydv.com site for the V1U.

There are plenty of duplication houses and post houses that will convert a tape for nearly nothing, so that isn't a factor for me to hold onto the Z1U just for those format options like PAL or SECAM. Also, many NLE systems can either do this or have a plug-in that you can get fairly cheap to change formats. Again, not a reason for me to hold onto the Z1U here.

I am with the V1U all the way for all my work both for graduate school student film work and for my personal projects. I am very impressed.

Hope this helps.

Network Sponsors

Back