Some General Questions

R

Readingruffini

I'm sixteen and I've recently started to take screenwriting seriously. I don't have many resources or much influence to work off of in my daily life so I'm pretty much on my own. I began with barely any knowledge of script terms or formats, but I have always had a natural inclination for writing.

I started off reading a book, which taught scriptwriting, and now that I have a pretty good idea of how scripts are supposed to be written I’ve started writing practice scripts to improve my skills. So far this has been the most helpful method yet. However I still have questions, ranging from beginner to advanced, that I can’t find the answers to:

1. I'm very interested in directing and screenwriting. Before going into college will I have to choose just one or can I do both?

2. What are the best ways to work on screenwriting/directing skills at age sixteen?

3. Who can you rely on to edit/proofread scripts with no one in my local area?

4. In scripts, does the font have to be size twelve?

5. To write scripts I'm using Script Maker Version 3a for Microsoft Word. Is this the tool that I should be using?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums RG :)

1. Filmmaking programs generally don’t place any restrictions on an individual’s pursuits for attaining a better working knowledge within whatever creative channel(s) they choose to explore. In fact, your interests in pursuing screenwriting and directing should be facilitated within the filmmaking program you decide to enter, being that they do go hand in hand. I was once worried about having to choose one thing, but it isn’t like that at all.
At UT for example, it’s encouraged that students explore writing while they’re in their filmmaking course studies. I’d imagine most other Universities would do the same thing.

2. The best way to work on screenwriting and directing at any age is to simply write and direct as often as possible…practice, practice, practice.
If at any time you feel the need to explore other avenues, don’t hesitate. You’re young, and you have all the momentum on your side. Don’t be afraid of making mistakes either, discover new things through experimentation.

3. I really don’t have any suggestions to this one, except for whatever services might be offered through the WGA (Writer’s Guild of America).

4. Generally, font size must remain consistent, because the size affects the overall length of the script, and as you know, the length of the script dictates how long the movie will be, i.e. one page=one minute.

5. I’ve never used script maker, so I can't say if it's good or not. But, I have used Final Draft, and it is awesome, very smooth; easy to use with some great features that give it an edge over many other script development applications.

But, I have used Final Draft, and it is awesome, very smooth; easy to use with some great features that give it an edge over many other script development applications.

However, watch out for Final Draft 7. Some of the bugs when it was released were so bad (e.g. outputting 8MB PDF files when FD6 would have used 200kb for the same script) that I've stuck with FD6 instead, even after buying FD7. I should really check sometime and see if any of the patches have fixed the worst of the problems.

I actually read somewhere recently, I believe it was on filmmaker.com, where they reported that FD7's bugs, or at least some of them had been fixed.
I don't know if it addresses the particular problems you've encountered or not, you may want to check...I still have 6, but I haven't had access to it or any of my other favorite apps like Photoshop for like two months now, due to a system crash and restoring the data onto a new OS etc., so I've been struggling, going through withdrawls like crazy. :lol:

I read the same thing on Amazon.com Jason...
that it was buggy... but the people who stuck around for the updates were really excited with the fixes and additions...
I just bought 7 and it should come any day now... so I'm just crossing my fingers

DerekEastham said:
I read the same thing on Amazon.com Jason...
that it was buggy... but the people who stuck around for the updates were really excited with the fixes and additions...
I just bought 7 and it should come any day now... so I'm just crossing my fingers

I have yet to see the program in action, but to be honest, I write my scripts with a simple template on word. I know it might be a tad shabby, but it's simplified to where I can hit a good amount of time writing in the zone instead of micromanaging with editing.

I am eager to see what Derek has for me in regards of this program. Perhaps he'll get to it and show it to me, hint hint.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, when typing, simple is best. But then again, Derek edits the technicality of my scripts, so I get it kind of easier.

Network Sponsors

Back