Interspecies romance a no no for general audiences? What can I get away with in my script?

TimothyRobert

Hi, I’m new to the forums, you can call me Tim. Soooo…I’m working on a science fiction romance script for an animated feature film. The story centers around an unlikely interspecies romance that changes the protagonist’s perspective on life.
Now I know this is a tricky subject to handle on screen, (and some have succeeded, like Shape of Water & Avatar, but overall people still see it as weird) and I want the audience to root for the couple in my script…not be icked-out.
It’s animated and I’m looking for a general/four quadrant/family audience after all.

So where is the line? What factors affect how people will feel about interspecies romance? How can I preemptively convince doubters it’s not bestiality? Will I face censorship?
Btw, the movie will be animated in stop motion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Tim! It's great to have you here and to see your enthusiasm for your animated feature film project.

Interspecies romance is indeed a unique and challenging theme to explore in a script, but it can be done successfully while ensuring your audience roots for the couple. Here are a few tips and considerations to keep in mind:
  1. Character Development: Spend time developing your characters, especially the ones involved in the romance. Make sure the audience understands and connects with their individual motivations and feelings.
  2. Consent and Mutual Understanding: Clearly establish consent and mutual understanding between the characters involved in the romance. This can help dispel any concerns about bestiality and ensure the relationship is portrayed as consensual and respectful.
  3. World-Building: In a science fiction setting, you have the freedom to create a unique world with its own rules and norms. Use this to your advantage to provide context for the interspecies romance and make it more acceptable within the story's universe.
  4. Humor and Heart: Infuse your script with humor and heart. This can help the audience relate to the characters and their relationship, making it more endearing.
  5. Audience Sensitivity: Understand your target audience and their sensibilities. While aiming for a family audience, consider how different age groups might perceive the romance and adjust your storytelling accordingly.
  6. Consultation: If possible, consult with sensitivity readers or experts who can provide guidance on how to handle the subject matter tastefully and respectfully.
As for censorship, it really depends on the content and the ratings you're aiming for. The more you can make the relationship feel genuine, consensual, and in line with your story's world, the better your chances of avoiding any major censorship issues.

Your choice of stop-motion animation sounds intriguing and could add a unique visual dimension to your project. Feel free to share more details about your script or any specific questions you have. Good luck with your animated feature film, Tim!

By the way, we currently provide free online webinars with industry professionals, where you can also ask questions and get answers. All our webinars are posted here: https://www.studentfilmmakers.com/livefilmmakingwebinars/
This page is updated periodically with new webinars. You are welcomed to join any of our webinars.

Welcome to the forum, Tim! It's great to have you here and to see your enthusiasm for your animated feature film project.

Interspecies romance is indeed a unique and challenging theme to explore in a script, but it can be done successfully while ensuring your audience roots for the couple. Here are a few tips and considerations to keep in mind:
  1. Character Development: Spend time developing your characters, especially the ones involved in the romance. Make sure the audience understands and connects with their individual motivations and feelings.
  2. Consent and Mutual Understanding: Clearly establish consent and mutual understanding between the characters involved in the romance. This can help dispel any concerns about bestiality and ensure the relationship is portrayed as consensual and respectful.
  3. World-Building: In a science fiction setting, you have the freedom to create a unique world with its own rules and norms. Use this to your advantage to provide context for the interspecies romance and make it more acceptable within the story's universe.
  4. Humor and Heart: Infuse your script with humor and heart. This can help the audience relate to the characters and their relationship, making it more endearing.
  5. Audience Sensitivity: Understand your target audience and their sensibilities. While aiming for a family audience, consider how different age groups might perceive the romance and adjust your storytelling accordingly.
  6. Consultation: If possible, consult with sensitivity readers or experts who can provide guidance on how to handle the subject matter tastefully and respectfully.
As for censorship, it really depends on the content and the ratings you're aiming for. The more you can make the relationship feel genuine, consensual, and in line with your story's world, the better your chances of avoiding any major censorship issues.

Your choice of stop-motion animation sounds intriguing and could add a unique visual dimension to your project. Feel free to share more details about your script or any specific questions you have. Good luck with your animated feature film, Tim!
Thanks Maura, this is great advice. It will be kind of an unusual story. The relationship is between a human man and a humanoid (anthropomorphic) lemur girl.

Thanks Maura, this is great advice. It will be kind of an unusual story. The relationship is between a human man and a humanoid (anthropomorphic) lemur girl.
Sounds really exciting! :D Keep us updated!

Network Sponsors

Back