Script Index Cards

Writer83

Hello all,

I have a question to all the trained scriptwriters out there:

What is the best way or most popular way of using script index cards: Paper

index cards or software-based ones, like Final Draft, etc?

Also, where can someone get the Paper index cards from?

Thank you.

It really just depends on your own particular style. Always remember that producers and directors, actors and craftspeople will never know the method that you used in order to get your script to the point that it was ready to go out to them.

Personally, I much more enjoy using paper cards or outlines. It allows to me to give a quick look down my structure arc, think things through, and see the movie as a whole. It also allows me to make quick notes and think even when I'm not at my computer. I like the option of using digital scene cards because it allows me to quickly jump to a particular scene but it also allows me to move scenes in the script without a whole lot of trouble.

Try both, or a combination. Nobody will ever care about your process. They'll only care about the finished product. Which should be a giant weight off our shoulders as writers -- just another one of the magic screens we use to trick those shifty producers, lol!

Script Index cards

Script Index cards

Thank you very much for your advice- It's very useful and practical.

I am going to go on with your recommendation of using a combination of

paper and digital.

Where can you get paper cards from? Bookstore? any particular stores

you recommend?

I truly appreciate it.

makeshift index cards

makeshift index cards

Here's another idea: Recycle! If you find that you do a lot of printing at the office (one-sided on letter-sized, light-colored paper) -- maybe you printed too many memos, flyers, handouts, or copies of something -- or, you printed a whole batch of printouts that has a typo, and you have to print your batch all over again. Rather than getting upset at the paper and ink you used up, recycle, and use your paper cutter or scissors to chop and cut recyclable documents into 4's. Use the blank sides to write on. Just make sure it's non-confidential, non-sensitive documents that you wouldn't mind throwing out later! :)

Or, do you have a collection of old holiday/special occasion greeting cards that you'll never, ever, ever be able to use again? You know the cards you bought at 75% off, but they put too many in the pack -- and, well, you've got to get new cards every season/year. (That's how this pile is building up!) Tear those in halves and use the blank white sides for your makeshift index cards :)

Network Sponsors

Back