Script agents

tiger

hi all.

I am currently working on screenplay, once completed, I would want to sell the script.
I have in the past written and directed small projects, however this time I would like take my work to the next level.

I have been reading about selling screenplays online, and there are many companies who are offering similar services where the writer pays a fee to join and then he is promised that his work will forwarded to production companies. does this really work??? has anyone got experience with these online services???

I know that the major companies \ studios requires solicited scripts submitted via a script agent, now the questions where can i find a realiable agent to represent the script?

Regards

Jemshaid
www.murdered.mfbiz.com

The short answer to your question is NO! Don't fall for those traps. If you ever run across websites or "agents" who tell you that they will get your work into the hands of producers if you pay them a fee, forget it.

A real agent -- like the ones you would find at CAA, William Morris, or any number of boutiques in Los Angeles and New York -- makes their money off the commission from a sold script. In other words, they only make money when you make money! That's why they work very hard at selling their clients' products. And that is the way it is supposed to work. And the only way you make money is if a script is sold, not just put into the hands of a producer! These people wheel and deal for a living.

If you want to go after a real agent, there are plenty of resources available on the web. Look for agencies that specialize in new talent, or get a list of agents from the major companies and find out who their associate and junior agents are, and try and get on their radar. In order to do that, first send a query letter about your project and a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope with the following options:

Yes, I would be interested in reading your script.

No, at this time, we are not accepting new clients.

If they check "Yes," then mail your full script to the AGENT (not just the agency) that you made contact with originally. But don't be disappointed if they don't respond or if you get a "no." The market is tightening, and it is getting harder and harder to find an agent.

What you should do most is talk to your friends, your family, anybody you know that may know somebody who knows an agent. If they are a friend of a friend, a personal recommendation goes a lot further than a good script.

Lastly, you can try getting into contact with attorneys and managers. Now, these people don't take a commission, they take a flat fee. You have to pay them whether you get paid or not. It's a risk, but one that is possible.

But, if you run across any group saying "send us your script and $200, and we'll put it in front of the people who make the decisions," don't take the bait. This really is too good to be true.

script agent

script agent

Temerson was spot on with everything.

I would just add, though, DONT be afraid to get you're script critiqued. If you buy creative screenwriting magazine, there are a number of skilled professionals who can read you're script and give you valuable suggestions in order to get that beutifal piece of art in front of the money men! Dont pay more than $150. You're script has to be in a good format and have a good pace, before you can consider an agent or a producer!

This is very true as well. If you are looking for critiques, fixes, major edits, story revisions and you have the money to do so, feel free to go after a well-established script doctor. These are professional writers who also do edit and polish work on the side. Now, their rates differ depending on their experience as well as what you are looking for. A short 3-page analysis might cost you $50 - $200, depending on the experience of the script doctor; where a full re-write can cost anywhere from $2,000 - $10,000, again depending on experience.

Like with agents, just be sure to do your due diligence and find out what their background is. You can find services on-line, and do work background checks by doing simple Google searches and IMDB searches. Often times, script docs will have had at least two or three major projects in the past. But, like the prophet said, caveat emptor: let the buyer beware!

Network Sponsors

Back