Quick Question

marcjb401

My neighbor is really into my prospective career/hobby as a filmmaker, and he has agreed to buy a Canon XL-2 and give me free use of it. Nice gesture, eh? Anyway...I just need to know...how do I get the video from the camera transfered to my computer to edit. I was told I need a firewire cable and a transfer card...but I forget the exact specifications. If anyone could help that would be great.

First of all... get your self a Panasonic DVX100B... that camera, is by far the BOMB compaired to Canon XL2... DA BOMB, unless you want to buy lenses.. then the XL is good for that..

OK now to transfer Video to PC... this is what you do... you need to buy your self a FireWire Card... if you have a newish PC... there might be a plug already there....

Its also IMPORTANT to know that 1GB of HDD space is 5 minutes of video..... so prepare to make space for many transfers of tapes.. I my self have over 620GB's of HDD space for video editing...

cant have tomuch ;)

besides that.... its pretty much all... Windows XP or Mac OSX... Macs are better editing machines... industry standard.. Windows XP more for home use or indy filmmakers.. or for people like us, students ^_^...

I WANT A MAC BAD! lol
GL buddy, hope that helped..

PS Firewire card... is under 50$ to buy usualy... and comes with a 6foot cable usualy....

*Edited by Filmosity to add a 'D' to 'DVX100B."

All the above advice is good advice. Important too is to have some kind of video editing/capture software.

Windows comes with Windows Movie Maker, and Macs come with iMovie. These are good to start out, to cut your teeth on. As you get better, you can explore better programs. Keep in mind, the better they get, the more expensive and more complex they get.

Some options you might want to check out:

For Mac:
Apple Final Cut Express
Apple Final Cut Pro 5
Media 100

For PC:
Adobe Premiere Elements
Adobe Premiere Pro
Sony Vegas
Canopus Edius

i'l throw in my plug for premiere pro, final cut does this annoying thing with transitions.... but i suppose on mac you dont have much choice... and thats just how apple like it :( anyway, the multicam editing in premiere 2.0 is great!

Hamco said:
i'l throw in my plug for premiere pro, final cut does this annoying thing with transitions.... but i suppose on mac you dont have much choice... and thats just how apple like it :( anyway, the multicam editing in premiere 2.0 is great!

What annoying thing does Final Cut do? I think FCP does transitions rather well.

hard to describe, when doing a cross desolve or fade out for example, you make your cut and then at the fade transition, but the transition does not end (IE black screen or next clip) at the point where you cut, but begins at that point. This means that when the transition is played back you will end up with footage in the transition that you thought you edited away. I find im always having to compensate for this in fcp, premiere does not have this problem.

DBXMe2 said:
First of all... get your self a Panasonic DVX100B... that camera, is by far the BOMB compaired to Canon XL2... DA BOMB, unless you want to buy lenses.. then the XL is good for that..

Whoa! Pull your horns in a bit, buddy. Why on earth would a beginner want to do that when he's got free use of an XL2? That's the worst advice possible. He needs to find out what's what before he lays out $4K on a camera. There are also other good reasons that the XL2 is a good cam, aside from interchangable lenses, but that's a discussion for another time.

Rogue Crew said:
Whoa! Pull your horns in a bit, buddy. Why on earth would a beginner want to do that when he's got free use of an XL2?

WElllll

marcjb401 said:
My neighbor is really into my prospective career/hobby as a filmmaker, and he has agreed to buy a Canon XL-2 and give me free use of it.

Yeeaaa... his neighbor has agreed to buy the XL2.... so its not baught yet, Soooo why not go for the Panasonic, its less expensive then the Canon.

I know several guys who are in college for film and all of them said the XL-2 was the way to go ( for now atleast). I also did a little comparison shopping and I feel the XL-2 is the best camera for me right now. I'm sure the model you're suggesting is great, but like I said, I prefer the Canon.

Dont get me wrong, I have a Canon GL2, and was very happy when I baught it originaly, but then when I used the Panasonic DVX100... Wow... really... wow.

DBXMe2 said:
Yeeaaa... his neighbor has agreed to buy the XL2.... so its not baught yet, Soooo why not go for the Panasonic, its less expensive then the Canon.

What are you 12? That's kind of up to his neighbor, isn't it? The XL2 is an excellent camera that will give him the cleanest, smoothest images this side of HD. If you have direct, hands-on experience with both, then let's hear about it.

Network Sponsors

Back