Question about Editing & FX on Adobe Pro

S

Seinfan

I'm still new to this all and I'm beginning production on my new film pretty soon for my college and I was curious of how the Fx works with the Digital editing. I'm still looking around to find what would be best in order to edit my film as far as best quality. Wondering about Subtitles, Musical Score, and FX. I'm wondering what it is capable of doing basically. I'm doing an adaptation from the Bible and I'm wanting it to be as graphic and if not as then close to visualized as The Passion of the Christ. I'm wondering how realistic I could get with the Fx from some editing program that would create sounds from like swords and weapons, Lightning and thunder as well as rain and something to help out making the fights look more realistic when my characters cut one another. I've gotten some great pointers so far I'm just a little stumped on the rest. Also would it be best to go digital or to regular film and how does that all work? lol Thank you.

I'm sorry to have not seen your post sooner...
please let me know if you are still in need of advice...

if you are... I'll need to know what kinds of digital effects you're planning... as this sounds perhaps as though it might be into the SFX or VFX range rather than the simple image effects or complicated ones for that matter, even on an Avid.

Final Cut Pro

Final Cut Pro

From what I hear Final cut Pro is the best choice but I am not the expert. You should ask Derick about this.

Truly
Kim

Subtitles can be done up in just about any program. Myself, I like using Photoshop rather than the title tool in Avid Xpress for instance.

As far as sound effects go, I would try to get as close to the real thing as possible but it would take a bit of research. Sword hits for instance...hitting a body with a Katana would sound differently than say a bronze gladius or something equally likely to be dulled or lose an edge.

Anyone have any suggestions on any good foley books?

I don't know any books to suggest... for foley... however, there are many behind the scenes featurettes/documentaries on DVD that I would recommend... for instance:
> Jurassic Park
> Indiana Jones Disc 4
> Star Wars
> Lord of the Rings Extended DVD's Disc's 3 & 4

Those are just some of my personal favorite documentaries... and there are many more...
it's really fun to watch, because even if it's a short bit on sound, there's a lot you can pick up from it by paying attention.

Anyhow... I urge you to check those out as well as many others...
also... any time you can find a movie that Walter Murch edited &/or did sound on, if he has a commentary track through the movie, it would be a very informative listen.

now that I've had a bit to think about it, the Attack of the clones dvd had some good sound stuff on it and so did Steven Sommers' mummy dvd's

Network Sponsors

Back