Query letters...

greybelt

If you've written 2 screenplays, still use one page? About 5 lines for each query?

Last edited:
You really only want to query about one project at a time. That keeps emphasis on one project, rather than looking like you are a tinker just spreading out your wares. If someone isn't interested in one, you can then query about another, keeping that line of communication open, instead of killing it off in one shot with too many projects listed in one letter.

Well, that is not exactly accurate. The person you are writing to is not a "business," the person you are writing to is an individual. If you hit that individual with a request to submit two scripts, well people are hesitant to take just one script from an unknown source because it might be really bad. And someone for sure is not going to want to get two scripts thrown at him or her until he or she knows you can write. So asking to submit two scripts is right off a red flag and makes someone less likely to say yes. And --

If you say, Hey, I'd like to send this script to you and here is what it is about, but hey if you do not like that one how about this one? It sounds like you are not committed to the first project you pitched. Which again, makes someone hesitant to take a leap of faith and ask for the script because if you do not believe it can stand alone, why should he or she?

Once someone has read a script of yours, if he or she thinks you can write, he or she will ask what else you have got. Unloading everything you have got out of the gate however is not always the best way to go.

This is of course my opinion. Mileage may vary.

more than one project

more than one project

I was told by a very successful and working ASC member that it is the people that have many projects to pitch that were getting the money. You don't want to have just one Idea. So, I don't see anything wrong with pitching two scripts myself. they might not like the first one but love the second one. They probably read the first ten pages and if they are not hooked in they through it out. If it is good it is good and it won't take long for any person that works for a company or studio to know it.

How many cinematographers do you know who are writing query letters to production entities asking for a script read?

You are talking about a different animal.

Network Sponsors

Back