Psychological Cinematography

W

Woodson

I was wondering if there are articles, books or even you can list films that have this kind of cinematoraphy.

I don't know the correct name for it, but for example in the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries" there is a feel from the cinematography for example when Ernesto and Alberto are riding their bike on dirt road, and its shaking. The shots were done so well, it felt like you were riding on that bike and shaking.

Also I know there is a lot of these things in the movie "The Terminal" If you seen this you will know what I mean.

Well what is this called.. psychology and cinematoraphy mixed together.

I would love to learn more about this.

Well, I believe that all aspects of the production bear a significant amount of responsibility in identifying the psychological sensibilities of the audience in its approach to telling the story, not just the cinematography.
Most of the great movies, and even some that you may consider not so great have a psychological purpose, tapping into a collective psychological consciousness or better yet, unconsciousness that will encourage the audience to identify with the characters and their lives so that they themselves will feel as though they are a part of the story. I’m not sure exactly what kind of details your looking to obtain with regard to the psychological impact of cinematography in and of itself, though I know that most, if not all professional cinematographers have a very unique, philosophical, and psychological approach to his or her craft. I would strongly suggest conducting your own research into those cinematographers and the art of cinematography in general, I also think that studying visual theory/general art appreciation/still photography and even some optical illusions/magic tricks that can also provide you with a good foundation on how imagery alone, with its composition, use of color/black and white, and ESPECIALLY light psychologically affects an individual.
Hope that helps… 8)

Network Sponsors

Back