Pilots

I need advice. I'm currently writing a pilot but I need just enough material to introduce all the main characters. I won't give many details about my project right now but it has to do with a family moving in to a new city, and the main character begins his freshman year of high school in the pilot. I need just enough time to cover the introduction of the family members and the school characters. I think that a 22 minute pilot would be too short, and a 44 min/1 hour pilot will be enough. Since cable is dying, this show will probably go to a streaming platform, so I don't have to worry about it having a fixed length, or at least not as fixed as live TV.

Originally, it was going to have the show start off in elementary school, but the material with little kids is very limited since they're not as "fleshed out" as someone who's in high school. I also want to explore more mature topics, such as drugs and peer pressure.

I was thinking of making my series live action but I feel like it would be more unique if it were animated, so it can push the boundaries of reality.

I probably won't reveal the name of my project until it gets copyrighted.

Hello and welcome to our community! :D
It would be easier to get your Pilot on a streaming platform, where you could also gain a global audience. I have seen another member post a few stills of a TV Show he is working on and he had a partnership with Netflix.
It is good to not reveal too many details until you have all the paperwork done.

Doing an animation vs a live action has pros and cons. For a live action, you need actors, you need a big crew, equipment etc. For animation, you need a smaller crew, not so much equipment and a few voice actors. It can be easier to do animation, because your characters can easily do many things compared with real actors. You will also need people to do stunts, special effects, etc.

I just stumbled upon your post. I have a few questions. What do you have at the moment? Do you have a script? Or just an idea?
Do you have the networking to reach the right people for this project? Do you have any sort of exerience? Or you are just starting?

The reason why I am asking all these questions is not to demotivate you but to understand your current context. There are solutions for each context but the work you will have to put into it is bigger if you are new compared with the work that you will need to put into this when you already have experience or you are in the industry for a while.

This is so exciting! Whatever you choose, please keep us updated!
As an advice, always start with your target audience: are they kids, teens or adults? Or everyone? And based on this, you make your decisions.

teens or adults? Or everyone? And based on this, you make your decisions.

Teens and adults.

It can be easier to do animation, because your characters can easily do many things compared with real actors. You will also need people to do stunts, special effects, etc.

The show is character driven, but I feel like animation may be better since I get to decide what the characters look like instead of dealing with what actors I have available.

What do you have at the moment? Do you have a script? Or just an idea?
Do you have the networking to reach the right people for this project? Do you have any sort of exerience? Or you are just starting?

I have script. I do not have networking for the right people yet. I am just starting and I lack experience.

I understand.
At this stage, you have the freedom to choose what do you want to make of this project. You can go for the hard way, think of every detail, write it down. How do you want your Pilot to be? I saw you were thinking between live-action and animation. Animation is the easier method because you need to know and work with less people than a live-action. Plus, you can find animators from all over the world. With a live-action, you need to be physically present in one location.

You can try to write down your script and try and find a crew based on the script. This has happened in the past. However, you need to attend film festivals and meet the right people. Networking is key here. You need to write your script as good as you can and they will look at the first pages. If they like them, they will read the rest of the script. They are busy people and it's hard to get them involved in a new project. But it's not impossible. As I said, you have to work a bit harder until you meet the right people.

You have to think about many things. Some people got their story turned into a live-action by writing a really good book. You could try this option as well. You write a book, get it published and then you go for the live-action or animation step.

Sounds cool but...what makes your script different from other TV Shows that are already on Netflix? The same topic is addressed by many TV Shows already :)

Network Sponsors

Back