Permits/Insurance all that stuff..

gskowal

Hi Guys

I`m pretty new into filmmaking and i`m trying to get all this information because i`m planning on shooting some stuff in New York maybe by the end of the year. From what i`ve read on the private property i dont need permits right? but what if i want to shoot a scene on the street, I need a permit, insurance and that stuff right? I know all this stuff is very expensive, but do those rates change depending on the budget of the film or depending on the scene being shot(ex. walking on the block or car chase)? Anyone of you applied for permits and insurance in NEW YORK? If so what were your rates? What if i`m an indie filmmaker and my budget is 10k? If i cant afford permits and insurance i just cant shoot movies? Also, when is it decided you need a permit? Once i put a camera on a tripod? Or any type of shooting involving more then 2 people? Anybody has good articles, book they can recommend that explain how to deal with all the PERMIT/INSURANCE/CONTRACTS(actors/location owners) PAPERWORK ? thanks a lot guys!!

I was eventually going to ask the same thing. I need permits n stuff for weapons at on-location scenes. I guess you would have to contact the city or something. From what I hear, NYC is very expensive to film in, even for fully funded movies. A large part of them are filmed in Montreal, Canada because its similar to parts of New York and a lot cheaper.

Here's the link to the NYC Mayors Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permits/shooting_home.shtml

In order for you or your organization to be eligible for a Motion Picture or Television Permit, you must present to the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre, and Broadcasting AN ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE which is signed in ink by the Broker's Authorized Representative and which includes:

1. The name and address of the insured person or production company.
2. The Description of Operations on the certificate must read as follows: "The City of New York is named as additional insured pursuant to, or with coverage at least as broad as, ISO Form CG 20 12 (07/98 ed.)."
3. That the policy provides at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) [usually listed as 1,000 thousands] in US currency or its equivalent of Comprehensive General Liability for each instance of claim.
4. The name of the insurance company and of the broker, with the broker's phone number.
5. The policy number.
6. The dates for which the policy is in effect, including both the start and expiration dates.
7. That the policy may not be modified or canceled without seven days prior written notification to the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting.

Please note that we do not accept FAX copies or photocopies of Insurance Certificates. We will not accept auto-pen or stamped signatures.

Still photography does not require insurance for permits.

Student Films: Students must obtain a letter from their school, on the school's letterhead, stating the student's name, their status as a student (i.e. full-time, in good standing) the date(s) of the shoot and the signature of the appropriate representative from the school.

Thanks guys, no i wonder if anybody knows how expensive those insurance rates are... SO i guess that city permits are free but i need insurance of $1Mil... Anybody knows how do these rates are set up? Are they based on risks( ex. scenes of people talking on the bench would be less risky then car chase since lower rate for the first one?) anybody did any shooting in NY and knows how this works? Also Students are insured by their schools.. Are students allowed to work on their private projects using schools insurance or only class related projects?

Follow the link in my post. NYCMOFTB has all the info you need on the site.

Network Sponsors

Back