Newbie looking for advice

sasha

Hello everyone my name is Sasha.
Im thinking about getting into film making and need some feed back on what I would be getting myself into with a degree in film.

Does anyone know anything about UCSC www.ucsc.edu

Film degree

Film degree

Hiya Sasha,
Whether or not you get your degree in film or not, there is always only one place that a newbie in the film industry can start - at the bottom of the chain. Unfortunately for those of us who are trying to work our way through our degrees, we'll end up in the same position as people who have no training or education! If you're looking for a film school, try UCLA rather than USCS. www.ucla.edu

Thanks for the reply.

I've been getting similar answers from many people on the net.
I checked it out and so far its been a toss up between. UCLA and Chapman?

I'm not only looking for schools but also for places to live.
My better half is finishing her journalism degree in the states so we must look for places and schools that can accomodate both of us. So far L.A. does not seem too appealing.

If you have any more info about UCLA that is not on the web site please write back. If not then write anyway :) any info helps.

Film schools

Film schools

Yeah, L.A. often isn't the most appealing choice, but it's got the best chance of making some industry contacts while you're still studying, and the UCLA film school is among the best around.

The question of whether a film degree is the right way to go should be changed to, is a film degree the right way to go FOR YOU? A lot of people have gotten into this industry without degrees in film: Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino, even Spielberg. Then, there are those who did get degrees: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas.

What you've got to figure out are a few things:

1. How well connected are you? Sometimes it just takes the drop of a name to get a meeting.

2. Have you had any college for film? Be vague, unless asked specifically. Like, "I went to YaddaYadda U." Even if you didn't graduate, it's still a true statement.

3. What skills/resume do you posess that puts you ahead of everybody else? A lot of kids come out of school knowing how to operate a camera, write using 3-Act structure, edit, whatever. But what makes you different, aside from your "willingness to do anything. I'm a go-getter" attitude?

4. Is it the right time/place? And I don't mean emotionally. Read the trades and see what the trends are as far as job markets go. Get ahold of the ad sheets at the agencies. Maybe working overseas would suit any of us better than trying to go to LA. I, for instance, am researching the industry and trades in France and Italy as we speak. A year from now, I'll have finished my second year at school. I'm either going to be in LA, Orleans/Paris, or Tuscany.

5. What can you learn in film school that you cannot learn on a set? Sure, theory, great films, etc. But will theory help you hang a light or hold a boom pole any better? I think not.

Two more things:

Maybe school is the right way to go, FOR A LITTLE WHILE. Lots of people go, take the production classes they need, make friends, make connections, then set off after a year or two.

Also, a lot of production companies are not hiring people with degrees in film. Kind of the tabula rasa theory: If you haven't learned it the wrong way, then you can only learn it their way. A lot of people are getting degrees in English, Psychology, Business, Teaching, Art History and getting jobs that kids with Film degrees "should" be getting.

Just some things to think about.

Hey Sasha.
I agree with temerson´s post and would like to add a few things.

I´m from sweden so you guys from the states are going to have to confirm what I say.

From what I heard about the industry in the US, it´s very hard to "break in". Many people are working very hard for little or no money when they start. And even after that they have a hard time finding real work.
So you should take a thinker about how badly you want to get in to this world.

Network Sponsors

Back