Doing the newbie thing

WolfSpring

Hello all, just doing the newbie thing. I am 42 years old married with three daughters and 22 years in the US Army currently stationed in Hawaii. My film experience is being a happy family man with a few GoPros, cell phone and some inexpensive camcorders. I've been using cameras forever, VHS, DVC, HI8, point and shoots and a few other cameras that do vide. I have no expectations to do anything great with my filmmaking I just want to do better videos with my family to show other family and friends. More recently I put together some footage from an Army Obstacle Course, pretty basic GoPro stuff, but my unit was impressed and has asked me to do some more stuff. I am always trying to learn and get better so I'd figure I'd find some info. I just bought a Zoom H2 from eBay and am looking forward to learning some audio aspects. My equipment list is:

Nikon 1 J1
GoPros (Hero 7B, 5B 4(X3 2B 1S) 3+B 3S and 2(X2)
DJI Phantom 2 Drone (with the Hero3 Silver)
A couple 1080p Camcorders
Galaxy S7
Zoom H2 for audio

I've got some other random stuff as well like a rode mic and some lighting stuff.
I use PowerDirector, but also have Premier Pro.

I know I'm nothing special and my tools aren't great, but I also don't have delusions of grandeur that I'm going to be making anything more than Facebook and YouTube shares for my family friends, and the random person who is looking for something I've done. Most of my videos have been snorkeling in Hawaii lately. I look forward to learning form this site and becoming part of the community, even if it's on a very small scale.

Welcome! I would love to see the obstacle course video if it's not classified! And some photos and videos from your cameras. You can post them in the media section or post a link here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! I look forward to seeing some of your videos or video snippets if you can share them with us. I also like to film/video family, friends, and colleagues with great tools that are not too high maintenance or heavy or bulky, especially when you want to be part of those events, "live in the moment," and not always have your head down in technology. So, for casual events, I tend to shoot more with my iPhone and less with my DSLR recently as an experiment to see what I can capture, create, and share/post. See you in the threads!

Network Sponsors

Back