multiple camera question

M

marlowe

if primarily shooting with standard definition camera like an xl2, what could i accomplish by using my consumer mini dv along with it.
for example if im shooting with both cameras simultaneously would the footage on the weaker camera be obviously useless in terms of quality, and if so what purpose does the weaker camera have once i have the higher quality?
sorry i made that harder than it had to be,hehe, thanks

Quality differences are definitely going to be apparent, depending on the situation; I shoot weddings w/ a max of 2 pro-sumer cameras, often only 1, and fill out the other 2 - 3 cameras w/ consumer models. The big noticeable problems are color and resolution. My Panasonic PV-GS320 rates pretty well in color next to my AG-DVC30, as long as I'm shooting in well-lit environments. (Like outdoors.) However, unless I'm in close to the subjects the resolution on the GS320 drops considerably, especially if zooming in to achieve closeups. The reason for this is two-fold, since the CCDs in the consumer camera are smaller and there's less glass (read: smaller lens) to shoot through.
So the weaker camera can work, you just need to use it in well-lit and balanced environments moved in as tight as you can manage and keep it zoomed out so its utilizing as much of the glass as possible.

There are a variety of places utilizing this can be helpful; in an upcoming shoot this fall I've got a frantic chase scene I'll be shooting and I plan on fixing my consumer camera to the bottom of my steadicam to shoot foot- and leg-level shots while also shooting face and body shots with my DVC30 on top. Shooting both of these at the same time helps with speeding the shoot up and easing the matching and mismatching of movments and audio. The nature of the scene being so fast-paced, the lower resolution coming off the GS320 will be barely, if at all, noticeable.

In the end my biggest recommendation is to try shooting both cameras simultaneously in a variety of environments and decide for yourself when you can and when you can't utilize both.

Hope this helps.

thanks its been a big help, but now the problem is im jealous you have million cameras and steadycam hehe

My "steadycam" consists of a lightweight tripod that has an extendable neck which allows me to accurately balance the weight/balance between the tripod legs and the camera up on top. The tripod cost $45 brand-new; it's actually a photography tripod designed to be taken on hikes ( my dad and I bought it for backpacking, 'cause it's pretty light ) and it just happens to do the job. That's what low-budget film-making is all about: making what you have work for you.

It is noticeable quality wise. But also you run into problems when you start mixing different brands as well. You will just without a doubt get two very different looks... That is if you put up an XL 2 against any consumer (or even prosumer in some cases) camera. One camera is generally more managable in shooting narrative work. If your doing a wedding or something I can see the usefulness in two or more cameras. But other wise, one is just better on a lot of levels unless you know how to use two cameras really efficiently and have the same or similar makes.

Re: multiple camera question

marlowe said:
if primarily shooting with standard definition camera like an xl2, what could i accomplish by using my consumer mini dv along with it.
for example if im shooting with both cameras simultaneously would the footage on the weaker camera be obviously useless in terms of quality, and if so what purpose does the weaker camera have once i have the higher quality?
sorry i made that harder than it had to be,hehe, thanks

This is a great question. One the one hand, making the most out of whatever you have at hand is rule number one for guerilla filmmaking, on the other hand matching your cameras and never straying from that philosophy might land you better paying jobs down the road.

If you never stray from doing things the way the pro's do it, your work will look more professional. On the other hand, if you learn how to get more out of your stuff than most people, you'll probably end up penniless but proud. The reason I say that is you will figure out how to make the two match but in the process spend a LOT more time on the project than the person who just got two cameras that matched.

Unfortunately I know how to help you. (there is some dark humor going on here). Use your cheaper camera for medium to close up shots, even a cheaper camera tends to look "better" once the lens is zoomed at least a 1/3 to 1/2 way in. However, you then must use your primary camera exactly as you want, with the idea that the cheaper camera is your bonus camera, never to be relied on for a shot but if you do use it you consider it a bonus.

You may find when editing that by slightly softening the better camera and slightly sharpening the cheaper camera they may match a bit better. Some cameras have an icon of a spotlight. Use this function, ALWAYS. It actually reduces contrast while shooting and you will get more detail out of your image, less crushed blacks and less overclipped whites.

Network Sponsors

Back